Dimitri Iordanou

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dimitri Iordanou

Post  dimitriiordanou on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:31 am

Reading Response 1

The term rhetorical situation concerns the subject of the writer, audience, text, and medium. While the term rhetorical analysis is not necessarily what has been constructed in terms of subject material, but how the subject is presented. If I were to explain this to a friend I would consider explaining a rhetorical situation as how you present your subject by terms of medium, intended audience, and so forth. Also I would explain rhetorical analysis as forming a critique over the way a subject is presented.

When I write online I think to some extent I appeal to ethos, logos, and pathos, however I think for the most part I appeal the most toward logos. I believe the primary reason for this is that most of the time when I am writing online it is anonymous, therefore I cannot necessarily apply ethos and pathos as well as I could on some other sort of medium. However logos, which I use in most of my writing, demonstrates my knack for using facts and logical arguments in my appeal to reason. Especially online I will usually try to base claims on sound logic rather than emotion or past credibility.

dimitriiordanou
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dimitri Iordanou

Post  dimitriiordanou on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Reading Response 2

According to Aaron Hess in his article “Critical-Rhetorical Ethnography: Rethinking the Place and Process of Rhetoric”, kairos is defined as dictating that what is said must be said at the right time. Kairos can also be considered in timeliness and appropriateness.

There are several concerns with the modern day weblog. Namely it can cause problems with privacy over personal matters and once exposed it can actually ruin your life. With regard to these concerns I agree to a certain extent. For one I do understand how these can negatively affect somebody’s life, however at the same time these cases are far and few between and can actually benefit somebody as well if their blog were to become popular. Also blogs can be a great way to keep up a journal of some sort for you and your readers to follow.

Voyeurism has always been important throughout the history of literature, however it has more so made resurgence recently within the realm of television. People want to see how others live (privately of course). Within the weblog individuals are able to privately read (or spy) on another person’s life. This somewhat focuses voyeurism back toward writing again. This is important in understanding reading and writing because it shows what individuals want to read and write about, and how human nature naturally is intrigued by the privacy of other people.

1.) Is privacy honestly a huge concern with weblogs? I feel like most people today know the concerns with blogs, and can easily write anonymously on forums rather than identifying themselves on a blog.
2.) How is Kairos used specifically with blogs and is it always necessary?
3.) Is voyeurism making a resurgence in text with the added popularity of weblogs?

dimitriiordanou
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dimitriiordanou on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:02 am

Prewriting Assignment 1

The blog I have chosen is Mark Cuban’s weblog, “blog maverick.com.” It is presented as Mark Cuban famous entrepreneur and owner of the Dallas Mavericks personal blog where he writes about his life, experiences, and tips for a young business mind. He relates to his audience with his past business ventures which made him a billionaire while also giving insight on what its like to be the owner of the Dallas Mavericks as well as one of the world’s most influential people.

It is presented with a preview of each article with the older post preceding the newer ones. The comment section of each blog post is exceptionally popular although Mark Cuban will rarely respond to readers. In reading this blog it appears that the majority of the websites readers are young men between 20 and 30 who appreciate Cuban’s business insight as well as his interesting life.

Clearly the blog is used as a marketing tool for Cuban. He is a billionaire because of the Internet and still uses the web to promote his personal brand. I wouldn’t say he is a particularly talented writer, but just his presence as a person leads to his blogs astounding popularity.  Interestingly enough the blog seems to run more like a company website positing articles than an individual hosting a personal blog. As many of the comments discuss Cuban in the 3rd person rather than directly trying to communicate with him. An example of this is when Cuban recently had a court hearing over potential SEC violations. One commenter posted, “Unsurprisingly, sounds like a lot of wasted time in the courtroom… Lots of wasted tax payer dollars and Mark Cuban’s time…”

While Cuban’s blog is undoubtedly popular I believe this to be due to two reasons. The first being his success as a billionaire, people want to know the business secrets he possesses in making a fortune. The second reason is voyeurism. Cuban is unmistakably a celebrity in his own write. He is easily the most high profile NBA owner and possibly sports owner and people want to see inside the life of someone like this. These reasons are essential as to why the masses are drawn to Cuban’s blog.

dimitriiordanou
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dimitriiordanou on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:31 pm

Presidential Conference Response

In the video President Obama takes on a series of questions from the GOP of the House of Representatives. Essentially the politicians question Obama on every move he has made as well as the state of the country since he has taken over.  For the most part he answers these questions very thoroughly and the conference takes on the form of a debate as every Republican ruthlessly berates him for every negative aspect of the country.

The Politicians primarily use statistics to make claims about faults Obama and the Democratic Party have made since 2012. One point that is repeatedly brought up throughout the conference is the Health Care Reform Act, popularly known as Obamacare. Many Republicans have criticized the nationalization of health care intensively, and at the 23:40 mark one specific congressman questions President Obamas lack of broadcasting the Health care debates during the bills push.

While the GOP effectively covers most issues that the Democratic Party has struggled with over the last few years, it lacks brining up positive actions by the Democrats. These include having unemployment decrease over the past several months as several bills have been passed to create jobs, as well as the economy rising.

Generally, while the politicians remain respectful for the most part, they do seem hostile at times questioning the direction of the executive branch.

dimitriiordanou
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dimitriiordanou on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:31 pm

Ong Paper Response

The beginning of Ong’s writing consists of him defining what the term literate and illiterate mean. He interestingly notes that literate is characterized as the normal and illiterate id defined as the lack of reading and writing. He notes that the brain processes information such as words entirely differently when the individual is literate rather than vice versa. He argues that this context is subconsciously built into your mind and cannot be changed. On page 24 of his book he notes, “Functionally literate persons, those who regularly assimilate discourse such as this, are not simply thinking and speaking human beings but chirographically thinking and speaking human beings.” This of course further illustrates Ong’s view that literacy completely changes the perception of phenomena by the mind.

Despite his firm belief that literacy does affect the human mind subconsciously he does not necessarily believe that languages is writing. He states on page 27, “All this is not to deny that spoken languages are all amenable to conversion into writing, the invention or writing, and even of alphabetic writing, was sure to occur somewhere in the evolution of culture and consciousness. But to say that language is writing is, at best, uninformed. It provides egregious evidence of the unreflective chirographic and/or typographic squint that haunts us all.” Ong clearly believes that literacy has a natural and inevitable place with humankind, however he does not believe that it is essential for language.

dimitriiordanou
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dimitriiordanou on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:33 am

What is Literacy Response

Gee defines literacy in an extremely complex way in “What is Literacy”. To begin he first outlines what he believes to be a subset of literacy, that being discourse. Gee continually speaks of different discourses, different definitions for discourse, why it is important, and finally how it relates to literacy. After a length preface of discourse he states, “Literacy is control of secondary use or language (i.e., uses of language in secondary discourses) thus there are as many applications of the word “literacy” as there are secondary discourses, which is many. Furthermore he goes into varying levels of literacy and how they are different for each other. In short he does not offer a concrete definition of literacy and only demonstrates the different levels of literacy as comparable to the different subsets of discourse.

While this did not necessarily change my understanding for literacy it did, add personal insight to the extent of how far literacy goes. Gee effectively illustrates the many dividing levels of literacy and how it is relatable to forms of discourse. This helps me with my own literacy story as it show me the complexity of literacy, and helps me write a piece that is subjective to my own value of literacy.

dimitriiordanou
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dimitriiordanou on Mon May 11, 2015 8:10 pm

3 Instances of Literacy

Literacy has affected me in a number of ways in my life. 3 specific ways I can think of involve a commencement speech I gave at my high school graduation, reading to young kids in various volunteer programs, and having interactions with my Greek Grandmother who has never known how to read. My high school commencement involved me creating and performing a speech that reflected on all of my classmates’ experiences. My experience of reading to young children involved myself setting aside time each Friday in 8th grade to read to read stories to various kids that could not read very well at the time. Finally I have also had many conversations with my grandmother who is not literate and this has given me a different perspective.

dimitriiordanou
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dimitriiordanou on Mon May 11, 2015 8:15 pm

2 Questions for Research Paper

Why is the income disparity between CEO’s and regular wageworkers within corporations so great?

What are the potential benefits and negatives with the legalization of marijuana at the medical and recreational level?

dimitriiordanou
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum