Nicholas Hartig

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nicholas Hartig

Post  Nick Hartig on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:26 am

The rhetorical situation is the context of a rhetorical event that consists of an issue, an audience, and a set of constraints. With this being said a writer can present something in a way so that it appeals to a certain audience. Also when presenting or trying to explain rhetorical analysis its simply A form of criticism that employs the principles of rhetoric to examine the interactions between a text, an author, and an audience.. For example, who is your audience?, should it be focused on a certain age, how will the message be portrayed (image, text, etc).

When writing online there are several different ways to portray a message. One of which is the informative style of long typed blogs. Another example is pictures with text or even sometimes a video. When writing online it is critical that the writer focuses most on logos due to the amount of blogs that have fake information. Logos is by far the most important appeal when writing online.

Nick Hartig
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nicholas Hartig

Post  Nick Hartig on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:52 am

Kairos means when the condition is right for the accomplishment of a crucial action.

The concern with modern day blogs is the issue of privacy. If I were to post a blog about something inappropriate that blog post would be seen by everyone forever. This can cause issues with getting jobs . Modern day weblogs are a threat to peoples privacy and futures if the authors are not careful with the content of their blogs.

I think the importance of voyeurism to how we understand writing and reading is that not everything is real. Reality tv is a great example of how writers can make a show look so real when in reality most of it is scripted.

1.How is Kairos important with web blogs?
2.How long have the concerns with with blogging and social media been around?
3.How private is social media?

Nick Hartig
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nick Hartig Prewriting

Post  Nick Hartig on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:32 pm

The blog that I have chosen is a travel blog. This blog is a guy named matts story and tips about traveling the word for very little money. Throughout most of his posts he includes pictures of himself taveling or charts of cheap rates. He is very informative and includes certain apps he used to help him travel around the world. He also tells us the exact amount of money he spent on certain vacations. For example he stated that, “ I spent a total of $2,255.75, for an average of about $102 per day.” The creator of this blog is trying to present itself to be an informative and helpful guide to traveling the world.
As a college student money is always tight. We spend most of our money on food and housing each month. This travel blog is trying to help people with low budgets travel around the world and still experience the same thrill and joy of exotic vacations. I feel that the creator of this blog is trying to appeal towards the lower budget vacationers. For instance college students or younger people(20-30).
After looking into the audience members I have noticed that the audience is pretty vague. It just seems to be filled with people who love to travel. Most people on this sight are posting where they went and what they did in the forums. The audience is only improving the sight sharing links of cheap travel agencies or websites they used and also sharing their incredible experiences with each other.
This blogger is completely connected with its audience. In the forums he has several different sections just to ask questions he has also created a private message that messages him directly. This community is helpful and happy with each other. They all talk about all of their experiences and help each other out in planning vacations anywhere in the world.

Nick Hartig
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nick Hartig

Post  Nick Hartig on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:19 pm

The Republicans are mainly focusing on budget and congress bills throughout this Q&A session. The Republicans are trying to appeal towards the Pathos of the audience and the president. The first speaker mentioned his little boy before asking his questions. Also The second speaker stood up with his entire family right next to him While at the same time president Obama is appealing towards logos with straight facts and numbers that clearly states what he is talking about. The president specifically states numbers and percentages that go along with his statements. Along with this Obama is telling the audience and questioners where he is getting his facts which helps him appeal toward Ethos or credibility. Overall this Q&A session is Republicans asking questions in a nice way while taking stabs at Obamas policies. While Obama answers very politely also at the same time ignoring most of what the Republicans are saying.

Nick Hartig
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nick Hartig

Post  Nick Hartig on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:24 pm

In Ong's writing he states how literacy is used as a tool by different cultures to communicate. In his writing he says, "Moreover, in high-technology cultures-which, more and more, are setting the style for cultures across the worldsince literacy is regarded as so unquestionably normative and normal, the deviancy of illiterates tends to be thought of as lack of a simple mechanical skill." This quote shows how literacy is used in our cultures. Without literacy we could have never advanced into the high tech culture we are today. Ong's writing mentions, "television, which grows out of high-literacy cultures, depending for its invention and operation on the widespread cultivation of writing and reading. " He explains the fact that this type of culture never could exist without the help of literacy.

Nick Hartig
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nick Hartig

Post  Nick Hartig on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:27 pm

What is Literacy?
Gee defines literacy by first defining discourse. Gee definition of discourse is an accepted way of behaving, thinking, and speaking with a certain role. Gees definition of literacy is the control of secondary use of language. He then breaks this definition up into a dominant literacy group and a powerful literacy group. Dominant literacy is control of a secondary use of language used in what I called above a dominant discourse. Powerful literacy is control as a secondary use of language used in a secondary discourse that can serve as a meta-discourse to critique the primary discourse of other secondary discourses, including dominant discourses.

Yes, my view on literacy has been changed. Before reading, I defined literacy as just the ability to read and write. After reading, I see literacy as a way to communicate with others using several other techniques besides just reading and writing.

Nick Hartig
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nicholas Hartig

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top