Kevin Assoian

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kevin Assoian

Post  kevin Assoian on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:48 pm

If I were explaining rhetorical situation to a friend I would use the example the reading did to make it simpler. I would say, “when thinking whether to use an email, written letter or a text message you are looking at the rhetorical situation. You have to think about the reader, writer, text and the medium. You have to always make sure to think about the opposite point of view to make sure you’re doing the right thong. You wouldn’t wend a text message about a death in the family would you? Usually we don’t think about it to long because it may seem obvious us to u but when we make these thoughts in our head we are looking at the rhetorical situation. When rhetorically analyzing we go through a process in our heads. We look at the best way to communicate with our target audience and we think about how they would want to read what we are writing to them.

When I write I mostly appeal to pathos. I try t get the audience I’m writing to understand my situation emotionally. I try to dig deep into their hearts and that why I think I’m a good writer. Emotion is what gets readers glued to TV show, movies and books. It kept them engaged and that’s why I love writing with pathos the most.

kevin Assoian
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Assoian

Post  kevin Assoian on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:39 am

Kairos is knowing what is most appropriate in a given situation. It is writing the write thing at the right time. “Kairos describes both the sense in which discourse is understood as fitting and timely--the way it observes propriety or decorum--and the way in which it can seize on the unique opportunity of a fleeting moment to create new rhetorical possibility (Miller, 2002).” In my own words I would say karios is knowing the appropriate time to say something.
A definite modern concern with weblog is bullying. Once people are exposed they get judged, picked on, made fun of and threatened. When people don’t agree with others decisions that’s when bad things start to happen. Everyone has different morals and bad things can happen when a mean person disagrees with another.
We get a joy in reading voyeurism. Something that we get to read that is supposed to be private is thrilling to people. It’s like when a friend tells you a secret that you weren’t supposed to know, its just thrilling.
1. Why is karios mentioned when referring to weblogs?
2. What makes reality TV karios?
3. How does the Bill Clinton scandal relate to weblogs?

kevin Assoian
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Kevin Assoian Obamas Q and A

Post  kevin Assoian on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:27 pm

The first speaker uses facts that Obamas stimulus bill cost 700 billion dollars and failed. Before the bill unemployment was at 7% and now its at 10% and were 700 billion more in debt. The man asking the question said the republicans had a bill for half the price that would of created a ton of jobs. The man asking the question is using logos. He used a fact and a statistic to ask his question.  Obama comes back by also using logos. He states that a big chunk of those jobs lost were from the administration before him. “I was sworn into office but my stimulus bill was not in effect yet”. Obama defends himself well by saying he had no way of stop pig the job losses when he was sworn in, in January.

Last edited by kevin Assoian on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

kevin Assoian
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Kevin Assoian

Post  kevin Assoian on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:27 am

From reading part one I have came to the conclusion that Ong’s argument is that literacy has had a huge impact on culture and education. He uses comparisons to oral cultures verses literate cultures. Ong says “The fact that we do not commonly feel the influence of writing on our thoughts shows that we have interiorized the technology of writing so deeply that without tremendous effort we cannot separate it from our- selves or even recognize its presence and influence.” Ong is stating that literacy has taken over us, we don’t recognize because we have never been with out it, were just born into it. Ong also states “If functionally literate persons are asked to think of the word 'nevertheless', they will all have present in imagination the letters of the word-vaguely perhaps, but unavoidably-in handwriting or typescript or print. If they are asked to think of the word 'nevertheless' for two minutes, 120 seconds, without ever allowing any letters at all to enter their imaginations, they cannot comply.” In this quote Ong is saying that literacy has taken over us, a person from an oral culture would be able to do that easily but because of what were used to we cannot. These are two examples of how literacy has impacted our lives.

kevin Assoian
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Kevin Assoian

Post  kevin Assoian on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:15 pm

Gee’s definition of literacy was complex. He explained the word by using examples of how he’s a linguist. He also explained the word by using the word discourse. This is where it got complex; instead of just speaking of literacy he used these two things to explain it. He uses the example of how he was trained to be a linguist. To speak, talk and act like a linguist. Literacy is how we communicate, how we have social groups and how people become powerful.

I wouldn’t say this reading has changed my understanding of literacy. I would only say it has given me another understanding of the term. Literacy is one of the most complex things to define. I see literacy as a means of communication through reading, speaking, writing and language.

kevin Assoian
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2 questions

Post  kevin Assoian on Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:14 pm

What impact has the internet had on door to door selling?
what ways have technology changed the game of football?

kevin Assoian
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

literacy

Post  kevin Assoian on Thu May 14, 2015 7:45 am

3 ways literacy has affected my life.
1. I learned the discourse of fiancee. growing up and listening to my parents talk about it and me being clueless i know understand fully,
2. trying to understand politics is always something tough. Until a few years ago this was something i was so out of the loop on.
3. helpinjg a foreign exchange student in high school. He didn't speak any english at first and it was tough to help him with that communication.

kevin Assoian
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kevin Assoian

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top