Rhetorical situation

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rhetorical situation

Post  Yanzc on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:52 am

Rhetorical situation,simply,means how you deliver information to someone else,but it depends on many factors.And if you can figure out your rhetorical situation,it will helps your writing a lot.There are 4 key elements:writer,reader,text and medium.As a writer,you need know what you are writing and do you have some aim about writing.Then for readers,you should know who you want to convert message to and if you have certain readers,what is the relationship between you and readers,if it is needed to write in some styles.Of course,you have your text,it helps to decide the form,for example your assignment or lab report.Finally,it is your medium,whether you have a required medium,and if it is easier to express you thought by graph or video or something else.
As far as I am concerned,logos is the best way.I think too much strong emotion is not a good way to convince others,and nowadays,too many people write online using exaggerted way,it is easy to make readers boring.We can express ourselves more logically,so readers will settle to see what we want to say. Laughing

Yanzc
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 2

Post  Yanzc on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:21 am

Kairos describes both the sense in which discourse is understood as fitting and timely--the way it observes propriety or decorum--and the way in which it can seize on the unique opportunity of a fleeting moment to create new rhetorical possibility.

As I can find,the concern is that people are too easy to make many others heard thier words(we don't know it is ture or not) through blog,and this medium seems to replace how we know others in real life.I completely agree with these.My concern is blog may be not used as its originalpurpose,because of its popularity,someone could spread rumours through it.By the way,for the coming NBA all stars,Justin Bieber's twitter helps Lowry beat Wade to win All-star starter,so it can turely change something.

Voyeurism a nature of human that I don't know right from wrong sometimes is the reason why we write or read.For writer,they need to know readers' desire and whether it is proper to write it.As for readers,voyeurism will push them to read,they will be intersted in such things.

Yanzc
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 3

Post  Yanzc on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:18 am

What I want to write is a blog of a former professional DOTA player 2009,who is now a dota commentary.Of course,his blog is mainly about his dota stories.He will put his new first personal view dota video's link on his blog,and write several highlight points to attract people.He will also advertise his online store through some intersting ways.And there is no doubt that writing something in his daliy life and view of some hot topics is an indispensable part.

I think many people who plays DOTA will follow his blog.For a dota player,watching an intense game will be very enjoyable,also learning a lot skills.To my observation,there are many audiences who don't play dota now still follow.They may simply like this person or like watching something about DOTA.

Like all social network site,there will be a section under blog for readers discussing.Audience will express their thought in that place and talk to other readers,sometimes quarrel.People get intersted in his life when he just became a professional player which is considered a bad work,just a game,not steady.People will be excited of his excellent perfomence.It is a good place to a dota gamer.

As I said,this is a place for dota players,so the game is the most important thing to attract them here.He may put some screen in his blog or some funny pictures.However, most attractive things I think is title like Rampage Sven or Twice Holyshit!Because we konw this game,we know what he means.Audiences make comments and writer give feedback,it works!

Yanzc
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 4

Post  Yanzc on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:02 am

Of course, politicians use evidence to support thier ideals, so evidence should be convinced. I think there are mainly two typses. First one is what many ordinary people concern about. For example, the congresswoman from west Virginia(19'10"), she said people there considered obama's polcies are job-killing. Second is to list the certain data like the first congressman did(2'10").

As I am concerned, this speech consists of 3 parts. For the first, question is about policy and unemployment. Comgressmen think that obama's policy doesn't work even sometimes making bad influence. So they told obama the current situation, accutaly they doubt policy and want to ask if is right to apply it or not. The second part is about health care. They think obama just doesn't keep his promise to improve it. I don't know it is attack or remind, maybe both. For the third part, I don't figure it out clearly. It may be about cooperation between two partys or international affairs.

What impressed me most is two congressmen's question. One is the first congressman, he talks about unemployment. His speak is full of pathos. When he refers the ratio of unemployment, he use a low voice and slow speed which is a great way to attract people and make the question more serious. And the second congressman(23'30"), a freshman, he ues a completely a different way to put the question. He use the way of ethos, he directly point out that obama didn't do what he said which makes people disappointed. His voice is powerful. If you don't prepared well, you may be flustered. Futhermore, most comgressmen used logos way which seems more friendly.

Yanzc
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rhetorical situation

Post  Sailor WAN on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:36 am

Yanzc wrote:  What impressed me most is two congressmen's question. One is the first congressman, he talks about unemployment. His speak is full of pathos. When he refers the ratio of unemployment, he use a low voice and slow speed which is a great way to attract people and make the question more serious. And the second congressman(23'30"), a freshman, he  ues a completely a different way to put the question. He use the way of ethos, he directly point out that obama didn't do what he said which makes people disappointed. His voice is powerful. If you don't prepared well, you may be flustered. Futhermore, most comgressmen used logos way which seems more friendly.
He is congressman Pence, a very smart man. He used pathos, because he knows it is very useful in politics.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:39 am

Yanzc wrote:  What I want to write is a blog of a former professional DOTA player 2009,who is now a dota commentary.Of course,his blog is mainly about his dota stories.He will put his new first personal view dota video's link on his blog,and write several highlight points to attract people.He will also advertise his online store through some intersting ways.And there is no doubt that writing something in his daliy life and view of some hot topics is an indispensable part.

I think many people who plays DOTA will follow his blog.For a dota player,watching an intense game will be very enjoyable,also learning a lot skills.To my observation,there are many audiences who don't play dota now still follow.They may simply like this person or like watching something about DOTA.

Like all social network site,there will be a section under blog for readers discussing.Audience will express their thought in that place and talk to other readers,sometimes quarrel.People get intersted in his life when he just became a professional player which is considered a bad work,just a game,not steady.People will be excited of his excellent perfomence.It is a good place to a dota gamer.

As I said,this is a place for dota players,so the game is the most important thing to attract them here.He may put some screen in his blog or some funny pictures.However, most attractive things I think is title like Rampage Sven or Twice Holyshit!Because we konw this game,we know what he means.Audiences make comments and writer give feedback,it works!

I don' t play DOTA, but LOL. Theirs blog are actually very similar. Players can get tips about how to play well in the game and also can share the amazing experience players had during the game.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 5

Post  Yanzc on Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:29 am

I think the general argument of the first part is that writing which is a part of literacy is important to human culture. I find following two points to prove it. “Illiterates should learn writing as they learned to tie their shoe-laces or to drive a car” and “The fact that we do not commonly feel the influence of writing on our thoughts shows that we have interiorized the technology of writing so deeply that without tremendous effort we cannot separate it from our- selves or even recognize its presence and influence.”

Yanzc
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 6

Post  Yanzc on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:24 am

The definition is that a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network. The writers explain several definitions to help us understand literacy, like discourse, acquisition and learning.
My answer is yes ! This article changes my understanding of literacy. Before reading this, I think literacy is just the ability to read and write, like reading speed or writing skills. However, after I read this article, I realize that literacy is not just about individual, but a social relationship. When we read, we are communicating with writers. When we write, we express ourselves to audience.

Yanzc
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 7

Post  Yanzc on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:56 am

My three literacy stories are as follows:

The first one, when I was in my second grade, we had a story time on Chinese course. Everyone could share stories they had read, and each time, I would tell story I read from Aesop' Fables. So I got a nickname king of story. This is such a great experience to me that I will never forget.

The second one, when we learned Chinese characters, dictation is a common way to test. Then there are heavy punishment if we write incorrectly. We were asked to copy wrong characters 300 times for each. Some student hold three pens to write at the same time. It sounds interesting, but I am sure you don't want to try.

The third one, when I were in third grade, my composition got almost full grades. I excited for a long time! However, guess what? It is not a good start to my writing. I rewrite this article in fourth, fifth and six grades. And the grades become lower and lower. Hah, it seems just a joke. After that my writing skill is poor till now.

Yanzc
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:50 pm

Yanzc wrote:My three literacy stories are as follows:

The first one, when I was in my second grade, we had a story time on Chinese course. Everyone could share stories they had read, and each time, I would tell story I read from Aesop' Fables. So I got a nickname king of story. This is such a great experience to me that I will never forget.

The second one, when we learned Chinese characters, dictation is a common way to test. Then there are heavy punishment if we write incorrectly. We were asked to copy wrong characters 300 times for each. Some student hold three pens to write at the same time. It sounds interesting, but I am sure you don't want to try.

The third one, when I were in third grade, my composition got almost full grades. I excited for a long time! However, guess what? It is not a good start to my writing. I rewrite this article in fourth, fifth and six grades. And the grades become lower and lower. Hah, it seems just a joke. After that my writing skill is poor till now.

I like your third story! people become more silly than their young age. cheers

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:50 pm

I like your third story! people become more silly than their young age. cheers

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:55 pm

Yanzc wrote:  The definition is that a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network. The writers explain several definitions to help us understand literacy, like discourse, acquisition and learning.
 My answer is yes ! This article changes my understanding of literacy. Before reading this, I think literacy is just the ability to read and write, like reading speed or writing skills. However, after I read this article, I realize that literacy is not just about individual, but a social relationship. When we read, we are communicating with writers. When we write, we express ourselves to audience.

Before I read this article, I always thought that literacy is all about reading and writing, so I hate literature because I do not like reading.
In the contrast, I can understand a lot after read and write so much words and I become familiar with different rhetorical devices.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:17 pm

i like listening to the story very much, but i don't like tell story Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:17 am

Yanzc wrote:  What I want to write is a blog of a former professional DOTA player 2009,who is now a dota commentary.Of course,his blog is mainly about his dota stories.He will put his new first personal view dota video's link on his blog,and write several highlight points to attract people.He will also advertise his online store through some intersting ways.And there is no doubt that writing something in his daliy life and view of some hot topics is an indispensable part.

I know boys play DOTA all the time and I know it's a great game. It seems that the blog has introduced a lot so thanks for sharing@!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 8

Post  Yanzc on Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:49 pm

How did Lincoln's win in Civil War reflect his leadership?
How does music listening enhance cognitive recovery and mood after middle cerebral artery stroke?

Yanzc
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lzh on Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Very good two questions, they are interesting!

lzh
Goose
Goose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lzh on Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:02 pm

very good question! They are interesting!

lzh
Goose
Goose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Yanzc wrote:How did Lincoln's win in Civil War reflect his leadership?
How does music listening enhance cognitive recovery and mood after middle cerebral artery stroke?
Your first question is related to humanity and political science.It is a tough question and I think you can expand it more precisely.
The second question is about social science Razz

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:40 pm

They are good questions and I think you can explain them deeply.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:43 pm

I like you questions! I can actually answer your question. so text me.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 8

Post  WBK95 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:05 pm

Your questions are realistic and very clso to life, and I think they are easy to talk about.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lzh on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:07 pm

Amazing story! I like these stories!

lzh
Goose
Goose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen on Sat May 09, 2015 9:32 pm

league of legends is very similar to DOTA alien alien alien alien alien

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen on Sat May 09, 2015 9:33 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:
I like you questions! I can actually answer your question. so text me.

thats intersting questions!!

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying on Tue May 12, 2015 12:07 am

wow, i also like playing dota, after final can we play together bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top