Wenbin Wan's reading response

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wenbin Wan's reading response

Post  Sailor WAN on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:41 am

Rhetorical situation is very important when communicating with others. Four key elements: writer, reader, text and medium will be considered, which is so called rhetorical analysis. Actually, we analyze rhetorical situation unconsciously in real life. When we try to present or explain information, we intuitively consider what is the purpose, who is our audience, what kind of style are we going to assign and how we assign it. That is the way I would explain to my friend.

I will appeal logos when writing a mechanics essay, pathos when express feeling and ethos when throw an idea.So it is very hard to say I appeal most when I write online, because it depend on why I am writing, what kind of article I am writing and what l focus on.

Last edited by Sailor WAN on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:43 am; edited 2 times in total

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:41 am

Kairos is defined as the best and fittest time to do or complete a event.
Nowadays, everybody can write weblogs through the internet to express their personal thoughts which can be read by anyone who has the access to the internet. Sometimes it is really difficult to tell whether the information posted on somebody's weblog is fabricated or not. If people believe in the fabricated information, chaos may happen.
In 2011, someone posted a weblog in which he or she wrote that ocean around China is currently be polluted by the nuclear leakage, so we cannot get irradiated salt anymore. In a week, salt's price was twenty times higher than usual and salt was sold out in most supermarket in China. It found out that the information was fabricated at last, but it still caused inflation and market disorder in China. So, I agree with it.
The importance of voyeurism is that we must hold the view that what we read and what we saw is not absolutely correct or chaos might happen,just like the example I give above. We cannot believe everything we find on internet or we watch on the television.
Why is Kairos so important?
I look Voyeurism this word up in dictionary, and it is not what it like in the article. HOW?
Most weblog websites are free, as I know, so why they build their website?

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Prewriting Assignment #1

Post  Sailor WAN on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:25 pm

As a big fan of movies, I read a blog related to Christopher Nolan’s latest movie Interstellar. The blog parses the science of Interstellar and talks the fundamental problem with the movie by plain English. After the writer point out the basic problem with the movie, he posted” You’re thinking: Shut up and eat your popcorn. I’m thinking: Fine, it’s only a movie, but don’t tell me it’s scientifically nutritious.” (MLA) I think that this blog talks about mistake of the science of interstellar in the movie by plain English and the style of the blog is spoofy but also a little popular scientifically.

The ideal audience for the blog I picked up is, in my opinion, are physicists and astrophysicists or people who have strong knowledge with theory of relativity and astrophysics. In that way, the blog can be judged correctly. So can the so called science of the Interstellar. Rhetorically, writer probably want the movie lovers who have not so much knowledge about astrophysics to read his blog, so that they can get the right view of the movie Interstellar.

The blog comment is closed right now but it still got 984 comments. After I overviewed several comments, all the comments, in my opinion, can be divided into 3 sorts. The first one is the “thinking writer should shut up and eat his popcorn” group. They are probably big fans of Christopher Nolan’s movies who just want get fun from the movie and they do not want the writer to judge their ideal movie. The second one is “theorist” who have some knowledge about the astrophysics, but are still not proficient in it. Maybe they are students and people who are interested in astrophysics. The last group is “thumb up”, because they give a point of view that this movie is not like filmmaker said which might really happen, but does have fundamental problems in the film.

The blog I picked up is a movie blog written by English. Honestly, I did not read English movie blog before, but I do read a lot of related movie blogs in Chinese after I watched the movie, which is the choice that most of movie fans will do. Some movies are really hard to understand, like another movie by Nolan called Inception. I did not understand the whole things in the movie when I finished it but after I read a very nice movie blog explaining almost everything in the movie. It just like that movie blog is becoming a part of movie, audience need more information about the movie in content and thoughtfully. Why not read the movie blog?

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RESPONSE:Obama Republican Spar Q&A

Post  Sailor WAN on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:36 am

Congressman Pence asked questions about the career situation and economic problem in USA. He didn' t just ask the questions,but started with a story. He met an African American boy. When the boy heard congressman pence would be seeing the president, his eyes lit up and said he wrote the president a letter. Then Pence had a conversation with the father of the boy, his father said,Congressman, it's not like it was when we were coming up. He said, there's just no jobs. What a moving story! Not only tells how tough the job situation in USA but also shows people are suffering from that. And then, Pence showed unemployment percentage change in a year which increased from 7.5% to 10%. Now,Republican offered a stimulus bill which cost half as much as the Democratic proposal in Congress. After saying those, Pence asked the president whether willing to consider embracing the kind of across-the-board tax relief that Republicans have advocated.
I have to said congressman Pence is a very smart man. He not only used both logos and ethos in his question, but also used a very plain tone, which seems like very weak in tone but really a strong question.
Obama is a smart man too. He said,Well, there was a lot packed into that question. The audience laughed. It is a very good way to improve the atmosphere. And then, he promised he would write back to the boy and his family and showed he is happy to embrace those proposals.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wenbin Wan's reading response

Post  Yikun Cheng on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:09 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:Congressman Pence asked questions about the career situation and economic problem in USA. He didn' t just ask the questions,but started with a story. He met an African American boy. When the boy heard congressman pence would be seeing the president, his eyes lit up and said he wrote the president a letter. Then Pence had a conversation with the father of the boy, his father said,Congressman, it's not like it was when we were coming up.  He said, there's just no jobs. What a moving story! Not only tells how tough the job situation in USA but also shows people are suffering from that. And then, Pence showed unemployment percentage change in a year which increased from 7.5% to 10%. Now,Republican offered a stimulus bill which cost half as much as the Democratic proposal in Congress. After saying those, Pence asked  the president whether willing to consider embracing the kind of across-the-board tax relief that Republicans have advocated.
I have to said congressman Pence is a very smart man.  He not only used both logos and ethos in his question, but also used a very plain tone, which seems like very weak in tone but really a strong question.
Obama is a smart man too. He said,Well, there was a lot packed into that question. The audience laughed. It is a very good way to improve the atmosphere. And then, he promised he would write back to the boy and his family and showed he is happy to embrace those proposals.

Good language organization! I think the description is too much, you should pay more attention to the analysis.

Yikun Cheng
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:41 am

Sailor WAN wrote:Rhetorical situation is very important when communicating with others. Four key elements: writer, reader, text and medium will be considered, which is so called rhetorical analysis. Actually, we analyze rhetorical situation unconsciously in real life. When we try to present or explain information, we intuitively consider what is the purpose, who is our audience, what kind of style are we going to assign and how we assign it. That is the way I would explain to my friend.

I will appeal logos when writing a mechanics essay, pathos when express feeling and ethos when throw an idea.So it is very hard to say I appeal most when I write online, because it depend on why I am writing, what kind of article I am writing and what l focus on.

I agree with your analyze of rhetorical situation, which engage in our real life.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN on Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:15 pm

WBK95 wrote:
Sailor WAN wrote:Rhetorical situation is very important when communicating with others. Four key elements: writer, reader, text and medium will be considered, which is so called rhetorical analysis. Actually, we analyze rhetorical situation unconsciously in real life. When we try to present or explain information, we intuitively consider what is the purpose, who is our audience, what kind of style are we going to assign and how we assign it. That is the way I would explain to my friend.

I agree with your analyze of rhetorical situation, which engage in our real life.

We actually just know how to use rhetorical situation before class, but we don't know what it is. Sounds weird.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reading Response: Ong's Paper Part 1

Post  Sailor WAN on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:39 pm

I think that his general argument is about saying literacy is imperious. It is almost most important thing for human expression and thought in high-technology cultures."literacy is regarded as so unquestionably normative and normal, the deviancy of illiterates tends to be thought of as lack of a simple mechanical skill." Literacy is like basic skill for everyone in a high-technology cultures, and it is the media for the high-technology communication. Although oral spoken language works very well in the human life, the function is much more less than literacy. Just like the writer says,"Without writing, the literate mind would not and could not think as it does, not only when engaged in writing but even when it is composing its thoughts in oral form." and " In its typical mindset, the oral sensibility is out to hold things together,but to make and retain agglomerates, not to analyse (which means to take things apart)-although, since all thought is to some degree analytic, it does analyse to a degree."

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reading Response: Gee’s “What is Literacy”

Post  Sailor WAN on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:42 pm

1. Summarize Gee's definition of literacy. Try using his terminology to illustrate his definition.

2. Did this change your understanding of literacy? If so, how? And, how might this affect your understanding of your own literacy story?

It is a piece of folk wisdom that part of what linguistics do is define words.
It is not individuals who speak and act, but rather historically and socially defined discourses speak to each other through individuals.  The individual instantiates, gives body to, a discourse every time he acts or speaks and thus carries it, and ultimately changes it through time.
Yes. I just think literacy is just the ability to read and write, but I didn't know how important it is to our history and society. Human beings always learn how to speak a language first and then learn how to write. I started to learn write Chinese when I was in elementary school. After I Know how to read and write, I can learn other subjects, because the information of all the subjects are recorded by words, which I need to read and write.

Last edited by Sailor WAN on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yikun Cheng on Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:47 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:1. Summarize Gee's definition of literacy. Try using his terminology to illustrate his definition.

2. Did this change your understanding of literacy? If so, how? And, how might this affect your understanding of your own literacy story?

It is not individuals who speak and act, but rather historically and socially defined discourses speak to each other through individuals.  The individual instantiates, gives body to, a discourse every time he acts or speaks and thus carries it, and ultimately changes it through time.

Yes. I just think literacy is just the ability to read and write, but I didn't know how important it is to our history and society.  

Hi, BinBin, my roommate. I think you have not finished your response yet, haven't you?

Yikun Cheng
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:01 am

Sailor WAN wrote:As a big fan of movies, I read a blog related to Christopher Nolan’s latest movie Interstellar. The blog parses the science of Interstellar and talks the fundamental problem with the movie by plain English. After the writer point out the basic problem with the movie, he posted” You’re thinking: Shut up and eat your popcorn. I’m thinking: Fine, it’s only a movie, but don’t tell me it’s scientifically nutritious.” (MLA) I think that this blog talks about mistake of the science of interstellar in the movie by plain English and the style of the blog is spoofy but also a little popular scientifically.

The ideal audience for the blog I picked up is, in my opinion, are physicists and astrophysicists or people who have strong knowledge with theory of relativity and astrophysics. In that way, the blog can be judged correctly. So can the so called science of the Interstellar. Rhetorically, writer probably want the movie lovers who have not so much knowledge about astrophysics to read his blog, so that they can get the right view of the movie Interstellar.

The blog comment is closed right now but it still got 984 comments. After I overviewed several comments, all the comments, in my opinion, can be divided into 3 sorts. The first one is the “thinking writer should shut up and eat his popcorn” group. They are probably big fans of Christopher Nolan’s movies who just want get fun from the movie and they do not want the writer to judge their ideal movie. The second one is “theorist” who have some knowledge about the astrophysics, but are still not proficient in it. Maybe they are students and people who are interested in astrophysics. The last group is “thumb up”, because they give a point of view that this movie is not like filmmaker said which might really happen, but does have fundamental problems in the film.

The blog I picked up is a movie blog written by English. Honestly, I did not read English movie blog before, but I do read a lot of related movie blogs in Chinese after I watched the movie, which is the choice that most of movie fans will do. Some movies are really hard to understand, like another movie by Nolan called Inception. I did not understand the whole things in the movie when I finished it but after I read a very nice movie blog explaining almost everything in the movie. It just like that movie blog is becoming a part of movie, audience need more information about the movie in content and thoughtfully. Why not read the movie blog?

i also watched interstellar before, but it is difficult for me to understand this entire movie. I was impressed by the family love between the daughter and father I love you  
LOL have you watched fifty shades of grey recently pirat

by the way, why you have two stars, i don't have any star Crying or Very sad

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:09 am

Yingying wrote:
i also watched interstellar before, but it is difficult for me to understand this entire movie. I was impressed by the family love between the daughter and father I love you  
LOL have you watched fifty shades of grey recently pirat

by the way, why you have two stars, i don't have any star Crying or Very sad

It's just some physics, so don't worry about that. As the fifty shades of grey, I watched it at the opening night, and the whole theater was full. I don't know why,cause most of the audience were female. I thought it should be more males interested in this movie.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:13 am

Yikun Cheng wrote:
Good language organization! I think the description is too much, you should pay more attention to the analysis.[/quote]

I am just trying more ethos. Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reading Response:students's own research paper

Post  Sailor WAN on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:40 pm

The research paper I want to talk about is about the movie. Like how is the movie made?
Here are my two detailed questions about the movie.
1)How is the movie made? How many processes are there during the making movie?
2)How many positions are there behind the movie? What are they?

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:30 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:
Good language organization! I think the description is too much, you should pay more attention to the analysis.

I am just trying more ethos. Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad [/quote]

I think there are much details in your description.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:30 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:The research paper I want to talk about is about the movie. Like how is the movie made?

It seems there are a lot of things to talk about.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:41 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:The research paper I want to talk about is about the movie. Like how is the movie made?

I think you could expand your topic with more details.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lzh on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:30 pm

I like movies, too. However, I never do a research for a movie about the details Laughing

lzh
Goose
Goose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen on Sat May 09, 2015 9:05 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:As a big fan of movies, I read a blog related to Christopher Nolan’s latest movie Interstellar. The blog parses the science of Interstellar and talks the fundamental problem with the movie by plain English. After the writer point out the basic problem with the movie, he posted” You’re thinking: Shut up and eat your popcorn. I’m thinking: Fine, it’s only a movie, but don’t tell me it’s scientifically nutritious.” (MLA) I think that this blog talks about mistake of the science of interstellar in the movie by plain English and the style of the blog is spoofy but also a little popular scientifically.

OMG i love every piece of films directed by Christopher Norlan! give me five i think we could find sth to talk about!

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen on Sat May 09, 2015 9:06 pm

lzh wrote:

I like movies, too. However, I never do a research for a movie about the details Laughing

i am a fan of movies too. those two questions are the stuffs that im also curious about!

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying on Tue May 12, 2015 12:14 am

wow!!!i also like watching movies!!!! we can watch movie together after the damn final affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying on Tue May 12, 2015 12:36 am

Yingying wrote:

wow!!!i also like watching movies!!!! we can watch movie together after the damn final affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid

i like popcon

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanzc on Wed May 13, 2015 1:28 pm

Yingying wrote:
Yingying wrote:

i like popcon

In America, popcorn is really more expensive than tickets.

Yanzc
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo ZHANG on Wed May 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:Kairos is defined as the best and fittest time to do or complete a event.
Nowadays, everybody can write weblogs through the internet to express their personal thoughts which can be read by anyone who has the access to the internet. Sometimes it is really difficult to tell whether the information posted on somebody's weblog is fabricated or not. If people believe in the fabricated information, chaos may happen.
In 2011, someone posted a weblog in which he or she wrote that ocean around China is currently be polluted by the nuclear leakage, so we cannot get irradiated salt anymore. In a week, salt's price was twenty times higher than usual and salt was sold out in most supermarket in China. It found out that the information was fabricated at last, but it still caused inflation and market disorder in China. So, I agree with it.
The importance of voyeurism is that we must hold the view that what we read and what we saw is not absolutely correct or chaos might happen,just like the example I give above. We cannot believe everything we find on internet or we watch on the television.
Why is Kairos so important?
I look Voyeurism this word up in dictionary, and it is not what it like in the article. HOW?
Most weblog websites are free, as I know, so why they build their website?
wow I am so interesting in your paper now

Leo ZHANG
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo ZHANG on Wed May 13, 2015 6:27 pm

Sailor WAN wrote:1. Summarize Gee's definition of literacy. Try using his terminology to illustrate his definition.

Yes. I just think literacy is just the ability to read and write, but I didn't know how important it is to our history and society. Human beings always learn how to speak a language first and then learn how to write. I started to learn write Chinese when I was in elementary school. After I Know how to read and write, I can learn other subjects, because the information of all the subjects are recorded by words, which I need to read and write.
Yet, I think Gee is not easy to understand.

Leo ZHANG
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top