Reading Response

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reading Response

Post  Yikun Cheng on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:50 am

In my opinion, rhetorical situations are fictitious situations which synthesize four rhetorical key elements: writer, reader, text, medium. We need to assume some different situations in which we use different ways delivering our meaning to reader, and choose the best way to do in actual situations. To explain it for my friend more clearly, I'd like them to make sure what they want to express, who they want to write for, which method they hope to use. These are considered as rhetorical analysis that we are supposed to do in rhetorical situations.

When I do some writing online, logos is the most important one rather than pathos or ethos. With the increasing of page views on the website, people would like to get the useful information quickly. And people use logical thinking more often than affective thinking. So using logos is best way to guide people to understand your meaning. If the topics are full with emotions of the writers or personal ethos, it will lose audience who like the topics but have different opinions. Both pathos and ethos are adverse to fulfill the writers’ aims of writing.

Last edited by Yikun Cheng on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yikun Cheng
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

#2 Assignment Reading Respone

Post  Yikun Cheng on Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:43 pm

Kario is a method to guide people to develop rhetorical power and also describe both the sense in which discourse is understood as fitting and timely and the way in which it can seize on the unique opportunity of a fleeting moment to create new rhetorical possibility.

From the reading, in my opinion, the modern concern is the safety about their personal informations on the weblog if they just want to write something rather than to let others know. I agree with this, with the development of the internet, more people use the weblog to obtain informations today than several years ago. It is easy for others to get your personal informations on the internet. And others will talk or spread your information without your permission. So we should find some useful ways to protect personal informations.

Voyeurism, although is not a good word, it let us to think about the person who want to know your information. For the writer, when he or she write something on the weblog, they have to concern voyeurism. They need to think twice before write their informations on the weblogs. For the reader, voyeurism like the curiosity, it develop our interests to seek something to read on others weblog, although sometimes let us know some personal information.
Yikun Cheng
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

#3 prewriting

Post  Yikun Cheng on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:09 pm

Bayern Munich blog is the best soccer blog in which I can get the useful and interesting information of my favorite soccer club. This blog always does some forecasts before one match begin, like ‘VfB Stuttgart vs. Bayern Munich: Fixture, TV Schedule, and Match Preview’, fans can write their opinion for this match. And it also always make some summery after one match ended, such as ‘Arjen Robben, David Alaba lead Bayern Munich past Stuttgart’, fans are willing to saying their ideas for the match and showing their expectations for the next match.

To my way of thinking, the best ideal audiences are the fans of the Bayern Munich (FCBM) and their rivals’ fans. They often get into sharp discussion about the news and scores posted on the blog.

Fans of FCBM would like to get their soccer club’s information fast, and show their enthusiasm for their team. When the FCBM beat its opponent, fans always say ‘keep going’, and when the FCBM lose its game, fans will say ‘cheer up and come back’. As for the rivals’ fans, they always make some noises and say some bad words to abuse FCBM and its fans because they envy the supremacy of FCBM in the soccer domain of the world. Without any doubt, fans of FCBM will use the most trenchant words to respond adversaries’ fans. Sometimes it is more interesting to get into the sharp discussion than read the information in the blog.

Don’t like the official FCBM website, blog of FCBM offer people a more flexible area in which people can show their own opinion for this team heartily. So to attract more people to show their ideas and make the FCBM better than before, writer often use some words with personal emotions to incite people’s mood, such as ‘lead the game’,’ the best team’, and so on. In my opinion, this is the common but efficient way to work with its audiences.

Yikun Cheng
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Obama in the Q&A

Post  Yikun Cheng on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:14 am

The video mainly talked about the President Obama listened to questions and answered questions in the Q&A. In the Q&A, Obama encountered all kinds of sharp question such as Baltimore costs problem, unemployment problem, health care problem and other questions about his new government and policy. Politicians always used some detailed evidences like some people said or some datum. For instances, one man said, “congressman it’s not like it was when we were coming up”, when he complained about the unemployment.

Different politicians use different ways and tones to ask Obama question. For example, One politician from Tennessee, used soft tone to claimed that people in Tennessee wanted to work with Obama and talked about some essential issues with Obama at the beginning, and then gently asked Obama what will be done by new government, especially, how new government to reduce their interference and costs. This politician used sincere words to let Obama have to answer her question face to face and cannot use any unclear words to response her. Many of other politicians used sharp and high tone to ask Obama question with high speed, hoping to overwhelmed Obama mentally. Basically, most of politicians used pathos way to ask Obama, because pathos can incite people’s mood to support their opinions and get sense of identity for their question. It is very favorable for questioner to beat Obama on the momentum.
Yikun Cheng
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reading Response

Post  Sailor WAN on Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:37 pm

Yikun Cheng wrote:In my opinion, rhetorical situations are fictitious situations which synthesize four rhetorical key elements: writer, reader, text, medium. We need to assume some different situations in which we use different ways delivering our meaning to reader, and choose the best way to do in actual situations. To explain it for my friend more clearly, I'd like them to make sure what they want to express, who they want to write for, which method they hope to use. These are considered as rhetorical analysis that we are supposed to do in rhetorical situations.

When I do some writing online, logos is the most important one rather than pathos or ethos. With the increasing of page views on the website, people would like to get the useful information quickly. And people use logical thinking more often than affective thinking. So using logos is best way to guide people to understand your meaning. If the topics are full with emotions of the writers or personal ethos, it will lose audience who like the topics but have different opinions. Both pathos and ethos are adverse to fulfill the writers’ aims of writing.

(HEY! MY ROOMMATE!! I know you are sleeping right now. ) Sleep Sleep

I agree with your opinion on what rhetorical situations are.The key elements are the overview of the rhetorical situation. What's more, I prefer logos too, which is an engineer will do.

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ONG Reading Response

Post  Yikun Cheng on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:14 pm

In the part one, Ong claims that it is necessary for human being to be literacy using language, but not all of the oral languages can be converted to be written on the paper. At first, he compared literacy as shoelace and car, which we are necessary to learn how to tie or drive. He also used many quotes to support his opinion. He quote from Edmonson 1971 said “Of the 4,000 or so languages spoken today, only around 78 have a literature” And he used what he saw from videotape, in Dayton, Ohio, on 25 February 1983. He saw one linguist worked out an alphabetization of a previously unwritten language in the South Pacific, and he witnessed the linguist’s difficulty in convincing the speakers of the language that she could write down their utterances. These two quotes show us that unlike sound or many oral languages are evanescent, language that can be literacy will help human beings speak and think themselves chirographically rather than just speak and think human beings simply.

Yikun Cheng
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

GEE Reading Response

Post  Yikun Cheng on Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:45 pm

Gee defined Literacy as control (a matter of degree) of secondary use of language. Literacy included Dominant literacy, is control of a secondary use of language used in what he called “dominant discourse”, and Powerful literacy which is control as a secondary use of language used in a secondary that can serve as a meta-discourses to critique the primary discourse of other secondary discourses, including “dominant discourse”.

I’d like to say yes, it changes my understanding of literacy indeed. Literacy not only involves acquisition but also includes learning. These are means to quite different aims. Literacy is mastered through acquisition when it requires exposure to models in natural meaningful and functional settings and so on. And literacy is mastered by learning, for instance school gives children chances to practice what they are acquiring, and the learning they are doing gives them not only literacy but also meta-level cognitive and linguistic skills which they can use to various discourses.
Yikun Cheng
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:45 pm

Yikun Cheng wrote:Gee defined Literacy as control (a matter of degree) of secondary use of language. Literacy included Dominant literacy, is control of a secondary use of language used in what he called “dominant discourse”, and Powerful literacy which is control as a secondary use of language used in a secondary that can serve as a meta-discourses to critique the primary discourse of other secondary discourses, including “dominant discourse”.

I’d like to say yes, it changes my understanding of literacy indeed. Literacy not only involves acquisition but also includes learning. These are means to quite different aims. Literacy is mastered through acquisition when it requires exposure to models in natural meaningful and functional settings and so on. And literacy is mastered by learning, for instance school gives children chances to practice what they are acquiring, and the learning they are doing gives them not only literacy but also meta-level cognitive and linguistic skills which they can use to various discourses.

hi~where are your three literacy stories Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
how you set your head picture Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes can you teach me Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

READING RESPONSE

Post  Yikun Cheng on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Which is the key factor for Lincoln guided the Northern army to win the Civil War?

From the paper of Elizabeth Ridlington, we could find that Lincoln not only responded to public but also shaped public opinion. And at the end of the paper, Elizabeth said “this was always part of a larger effort to shape public opinion and to ensure Union victory”. This suggests the way Lincoln did may be the key factor for Northern army to win the war.

Can dwarf snapdragon be cultivated to change the environment of the desert?

From the paper of Tara, she said “The distribution of this species has been limited almost exclusively to the cinder ballast of railroad tracks, a harsh environment characterized by intense sunlight and poor soil water retention”. This means it may can adapt to arid environment.
Yikun Cheng
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:10 am

Yikun Cheng wrote:Bayern Munich blog is the best soccer blog in which I can get the useful and interesting information of my favorite soccer club. This blog always does some forecasts before one match begin, like ‘VfB Stuttgart vs. Bayern Munich: Fixture, TV Schedule, and Match Preview’, fans can write their opinion for this match. And it also always make some summery after one match ended, such as ‘Arjen Robben, David Alaba lead Bayern Munich past Stuttgart’, fans are willing to saying their ideas for the match and showing their expectations for the next match.  

To my way of thinking, the best ideal audiences are the fans of the Bayern Munich (FCBM) and their rivals’ fans. They often get into sharp discussion about the news and scores posted on the blog.

Fans of FCBM would like to get their soccer club’s information fast, and show their enthusiasm for their team. When the FCBM beat its opponent, fans always say ‘keep going’, and when the FCBM lose its game, fans will say ‘cheer up and come back’. As for the rivals’ fans, they always make some noises and say some bad words to abuse FCBM and its fans because they envy the supremacy of FCBM in the soccer domain of the world. Without any doubt, fans of FCBM will use the most trenchant words to respond adversaries’ fans. Sometimes it is more interesting to get into the sharp discussion than read the information in the blog.

Don’t like the official FCBM website, blog of FCBM offer people a more flexible area in which people can show their own opinion for this team heartily. So to attract more people to show their ideas and make the FCBM better than before, writer often use some words with personal emotions to incite people’s mood, such as ‘lead the game’,’ the best team’, and so on. In my opinion, this is the common but efficient way to work with its audiences.

I love spain soccer. So it's really helpful that you present us such a blog to let me know more about it!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sailor WAN on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:02 pm

kelly1994 wrote:
Yikun Cheng wrote:Bayern Munich blog is the best soccer blog in which I can get the useful and interesting information of my favorite soccer club. This blog always does some forecasts before one match begin, like ‘VfB Stuttgart vs. Bayern Munich: Fixture, TV Schedule, and Match Preview’, fans can write their opinion for this match. And it also always make some summery after one match ended, such as ‘Arjen Robben, David Alaba lead Bayern Munich past Stuttgart’, fans are willing to saying their ideas for the match and showing their expectations for the next match.  

I love spain soccer. So it's really helpful that you present us such a blog to let me know more about it!
I like KAKA

Sailor WAN
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:46 pm

Yikun Cheng wrote:Which is the key factor for Lincoln guided the Northern army to win the Civil War?

From the paper of Elizabeth Ridlington, we could find that Lincoln not only responded to public but also shaped public opinion. And at the end of the paper, Elizabeth said “this was always part of a larger effort to shape public opinion and to ensure Union victory”. This suggests the way Lincoln did may be the key factor for Northern army to win the war.

From the paper of Tara, she said “The distribution of this species has been limited almost exclusively to the cinder ballast of railroad tracks, a harsh environment characterized by intense sunlight and poor soil water retention”. This means it may can adapt to arid environment.

I like your topic about Civil War.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WBK95 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Yikun Cheng wrote:Which is the key factor for Lincoln guided the Northern army to win the Civil War?

There would be so much to talk about the environment and desert, and you can make the topic more specifictly.

WBK95
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lzh on Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:35 pm

I think you have learned about civil war deeply. Two good question!

lzh
Goose
Goose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen on Sat May 09, 2015 8:57 pm

soccer is my favourate sport. thank you for your info about the soccer blog!!

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  milan_chen on Sat May 09, 2015 8:59 pm

lzh wrote:

I think you have learned about civil war deeply. Two good question!

seems that you like American history! i think the role of black people is important to the victory of the war!

milan_chen
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying on Tue May 12, 2015 12:18 am

wow~~~i also like soccer bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce i like Man Utd cherry cherry cherry

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yingying on Tue May 12, 2015 12:34 am

Yingying wrote:

wow~~~i also like soccer bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce i like Man Utd cherry cherry cherry

we can eat food when we see the soccer game, i am so hungry Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Yingying
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanzc on Wed May 13, 2015 1:34 pm

I'm not a soccer lover, my memory of FCBM remians in Kahn. After reading this, blog may be the best way to know this team.

Yanzc
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo ZHANG on Wed May 13, 2015 6:24 pm

I think you no need to write a lot like this.

Leo ZHANG
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo ZHANG on Wed May 13, 2015 6:24 pm

Yikun Cheng wrote:The video mainly talked about the President Obama listened to questions and answered questions in the Q&A. In the Q&A, Obama encountered all kinds of sharp question such as Baltimore costs problem, unemployment problem, health care problem and other questions about his new government and policy. Politicians always used some detailed evidences like some people said or some datum. For instances, one man said, “congressman it’s not like it was when we were coming up”, when he complained about the unemployment.  

Different politicians use different ways and tones to ask Obama question. For example, One politician from Tennessee, used soft tone to claimed that people in Tennessee wanted to work with Obama and talked about some essential issues with Obama at the beginning, and then gently asked Obama what will be done by new government, especially, how new government to reduce their interference and costs. This politician used sincere words to let Obama have to answer her question face to face and cannot use any unclear words to response her. Many of other politicians used sharp and high tone to ask Obama question with high speed, hoping to overwhelmed Obama mentally. Basically, most of politicians used pathos way to ask Obama, because pathos can incite people’s mood to support their opinions and get sense of identity for their question. It is very favorable for questioner to beat Obama on the momentum.
Some view we have same maybe we can talk about...

Leo ZHANG
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo ZHANG on Wed May 13, 2015 6:25 pm

I think what you write is more about the story.

Leo ZHANG
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lzh on Wed May 13, 2015 10:23 pm

Yingying wrote:

I like Robben!

lzh
Goose
Goose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ziqi Xiao on Thu May 14, 2015 2:01 am

So do you like soccer or basketball? Oopss... you may like soccer more right?? hah... I don't like soccer, i feel so bored about this. 90 mins they just can shot few balls....

Ziqi Xiao
Goose
Goose

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kelly1994 on Thu May 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Yikun Cheng wrote:In the part one, Ong claims that it is necessary for human being to be literacy using language, but not all of the oral languages can be converted to be written on the paper. At first, he compared literacy as shoelace and car, which we are necessary to learn how to tie or drive. He also used many quotes to support his opinion. He quote from Edmonson 1971 said “Of the 4,000 or so languages spoken today, only around 78 have a literature” And he used what he saw from videotape, in Dayton, Ohio, on 25 February 1983. He saw one linguist worked out an alphabetization of a previously unwritten language in the South Pacific, and he witnessed the linguist’s difficulty in convincing the speakers of the language that she could write down their utterances. These two quotes show us that unlike sound or many oral languages are evanescent, language that can be literacy will help human beings speak and think themselves chirographically rather than just speak and think human beings simply.
a very unique view to see things! keep going!

kelly1994
The Last Starfighter
The Last Starfighter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top