Khaliyah Frazier

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Khaliyah Frazier

Post  khaliyahfraz on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:31 pm

A rhetorical situation is when a writer must determine how to write a piece of text. The writer must take him or herself, the reader, the text, and the medium into consideration. The reader would be the writers target audience, the text would be the main topic the writer wants to write about and the medium is the way the writer will communicate whether it be posted online or printed on paper. Each time a writer decides to produce a product, they will always be presented a rhetorical situation because they must decide the best way to reach the reader. A rhetorical analysis is when the writer takes time to analyze how to solve the rhetorical situation. Rhetorical analysis is when the writer begins to determine what the best way to communicate and the best medium to use in order to reach its audience.

Ethos, pathos and logos are used by writers to persuade others to take a point of view. Ethos is an appeal to ethics and it convinces readers based off of the character of the writer. Pathos is an appeal to emotion and convinces the reader by using an emotional argument. Logos is an appeal to logic and persuades readers by using reason. When writing online pathos appeals more because when writers use emotion it seems more genuine. It is easier to connect with the author if the reader knows the true feelings of the author. Also it is easier to decide where the reader stands if the reader can take its own feelings into consideration along with the authors. All are very persuasive but pathos is easiest to appeal to.

khaliyahfraz
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Into the Blogosphere

Post  khaliyahfraz on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Kairos is described as the opportune time and/or place, the right or appropriate time to say or do the right or appropriate thing. It is also described as being fitting.
Based on the reading our modern concern about blogs is security. The small blurb above the article explains a few different events of bloggers feeling as though their privacy was invaded. Many bloggers are concerned about the amount of people that view their content because they don’t expect millions of viewers. Bloggers are also concerned with the government or police officials invading their blogs and reading what they post. Bloggers are posting intimate private details and inner thoughts on their blogs and are not sure if the police have the right to read it seeing as though it is technically an invasion of their privacy.
Voyeurism is important to reading or writing because it helps individuals connect more to the piece. It helps to make the material feel more intimate with the reader because they will be able to have some type of connection to it or can envision what is going on. Web blogs and reality TV help to give us visual stimulation through voyeurism.
What does kairos have to do with blogs?
Why do people write personal things in blogs if they know it has the potential of getting lots of views?
Is voyeurism really connected to blogs or more towards television?

khaliyahfraz
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Her Campus Mizzou

Post  khaliyahfraz on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:15 pm

1. Give evidence, via quotes and description, for how your blog or comic presents itself. Her Campus Mizzou is a blog site where Mizzou students can post different articles about the different Mizzou students and events going on at Mizzou. There are also a series of articles that are put on all of the Her Campus school blog sites that talk about relationship advice, survival guides, and other quirky girly things. The blog has bright colors and girly fonts as well as bright enticing colors.

2. Describe who you think would be the ideal audience for your blog using both your own observations and rhetorical tools. The best person for this blog would be any female student at Mizzou or female high school seniors who will be attending Mizzou next year. I think the creators of Her Campus targets their website to female students who are currently attending college and want to know more about what is going on at their campus, events, and need advice on how to deal with daily girl struggles. From my observations this is a really good site for girls coming to campus because they can get an idea of what type of things go on at Mizzou. They can learn early on how to deal with certain situations or at least get advice on how to handle different problems.

3. After finding the audience for your comic/blog (usually in forums or beneath posts) describe your audience, how they communicate, what they seem to value, and so on. Her Campus Mizzou audience tends to communicate by sharing articles or by voting for what they want to read about or what they think about a certain topic. Her Campus doesn’t have a forum part or a comment section. The audience seems to value beauty and health tips as well as silly miscellaneous articles. The audience also values articles about the college that they are attending.

4. Try to make a claim for how the web-comic or blog works with its audience. Her Campus is a site that has beauty, health, style, LGBT, and other categories with a series of articles specific to each topic. It also has a section for My Campus in which girls from all over can chose their campus and see what is going on around campus or read about their campus “celebs”. The bloggers of her campus all write their articles as if they are giving their best friends advice. The bloggers seem to use pathos to reach their audience and do a very good job.

khaliyahfraz
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Obama Response

Post  khaliyahfraz on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:56 pm

During the speech, Obama was criticized for the changes and the things that he asked of the government. They talked about how much he had spent, policies he changed, and his plan for how he was going to change the policies. Throughout the video, the republicans expressed their opinions about all of the plans and actions that Obama has made that failed and stated their new ideas that could be put in place instead. Republicans brought up the fact that Obama told America that he would broadcast the health care debates but he never did, which is something that he should’ve done. The politicians use logos, which is an appeal to reason, when they explains how the unemployment rate went from 7.5 percent to 10 percent. The politicians used the facts that they had to show that they did know the facts. The politicians also used pathos, which is an appeal to emotion, by giving facts that had to do with all Americans. The politicians also tried to persuade the people that the cause of all the failures were due to Obama being elected president.

khaliyahfraz
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ong Response

Post  khaliyahfraz on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:05 pm

The article talking about the way we write, speak and communicate with others because of literacy. Ong stated in the article that writing changes the way that we communicate through print and the way we form and verbally say our own ideas and thoughts. “Language is writing is, at best, uninformed. It provides egregious evidence of the unreflective chirographic and/or typographic squint that haunts us all.” He explains that we view those that are illiterate as being less able but they are communicating in a way that is more natural for humans. “The fact that we do not commonly feel the influence of writing on our thoughts shows that we have interiorized the technology of writing so deeply that without tremendous effort we cannot separate it from ourselves or even recognize its presence and influence.” Ong suggests that since literacy is such a dominant part in our lives we have lost touch with our natural mental processes and took on a writing process instead.

khaliyahfraz
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gee Literacy

Post  khaliyahfraz on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:10 pm

James Gee defines literacy by linking it to the word discourse. Discourse is an accepted way of behaving, speaking and thinking while holding a certain role. Each person behaves in the way that their role calls for them to normally behave in society. Discourses are also based off of their opposing discourses. Each makes known their beliefs without caring about the other discourses. Gee also explains that acquisition is the trial and error way of gaining knowledge while learning is the process of breaking it down into parts and then analyzing to understand.

Gee’s explanation of what literacy was is very different from what I felt that literacy was. I do agree with the discourse argument because I do think that we are all playing certain roles in society and that role allows us and prohibits us from behaving in certain ways. I do not agree with how strict Gee makes discourse seem. I don’t think it is a very valid to suggest that everyone in the same discourse is acting the same exact way.

khaliyahfraz
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Literacy Moments

Post  khaliyahfraz on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:22 pm

Literacy has affected my life in many different ways. I remember when I was in fourth grade my grandma became upset with me because I didn't read enough. She always read and feared that reading was a dying hobby. Another time was when I was in middle school I still hated reading and refused to finish or start any book I was forced to read. Until one day my power went out for a week and all I could do was open a book. The most recent time was junior year of high school, we had to read huckleberry Finn and at first I didn't want to but it ended up being one of the best books I had ever read. 

khaliyahfraz
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2 Questions

Post  khaliyahfraz on Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:57 pm

1. How did Ernest Hemingway's life influence his work?
2. How does todays media represent women? How does the media objectify women?

khaliyahfraz
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Women in media sources

Post  khaliyahfraz on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:04 pm

#1: Dill, Karen E., and Kathryn P. Thill. "Video Game Characters and the Socialization of Gender Roles: Young People's Perceptions Mirror Sexist Media Depictions.” Springer US, 01 Dec. 2007. Web. 20 Apr. 2015.
This source is an analysis of how video game characters are icons in youth popular culture but research on their role in gender socialization is rare. This analysis talks about the portrayal of female and male characters in different ways like aggressiveness and how they are sexualize. This survey confirms stereotypes that male characters are aggressive and female characters as sexual objects.
#2: Collins, Rebecca L. "Content Analysis of Gender Roles in Media: Where Are We Now and Where Should We Go?" Springer Link. Springer US, 01 Feb. 2011. Web. 20 Apr. 2015.
This source is a paper that was written about gender roles in media. The paper talks about how women are underrepresented across a range of media and settings. How women are portrayed in a negative way. Women are usually sexualized and are also subordinated in various ways. Lastly women are usually shown in stereotypical feminine roles.
#3: Gilly, Mary C. "Sex Roles in Advertising: A Comparison of Television Advertisements in Australia, Mexico, and the United States." Jstor. American Marketing Association, 01 Apr. 1998. Web. 20 Apr. 2015.
This source is a case study of the portrayal of sex roles in advertising in different areas in the world. It talks about how sex roles have not always reflected equality reality. It also talks about how many studies that have already been done on Sex Roles in Advertising usually only examine U.S. advertising and do not question other areas. Results for this case study revealed differences in the portrayal of gender in U.S. advertisements, Australia shows fewer sex role differences and Mexico showed slightly more gender role differences than U.S.
#4: Peter, Jochen, and Patti M. ValkenburgK. "Adolescents' Exposure to a Sexualized Media Environment and Their Noti." Ons of Women as Sex Objects. Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers, 01 Mar. 2007. Web. 20 Apr. 2015.
This source is a study that was designed to investigate whether adolescents’ exposure to a sexualized media is associated with stronger beliefs that women as sex objects. It also studied the comparison of women as sex objects and exposure to sexual content of different levels of explicitness and in different media forms. It also studies if this was all contingent on gender.
#5: Posavac, Heidi D., Steven S. Posavac, and Emil J. Posavac. "Exposure to Media Images of Female Attractiveness and Concern with Bod." Y Weight Among Young Women1. Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers, 01 Feb. 1998. Web. 20 Apr. 2015.
This source is a case study that studied how females concerns with body weight were affected with media images and neutral images. The case proves and talks about how the popular belief that female attractiveness is related to how females are presented in the media is the primary contributor to dissatisfaction in women. It also goes further to explain how it is not the other contributor and how races is also a contributor.

Public conversation about women being portrayed in media tends to focus its attention on the negatives about how women as seen. Women are represented as sexual objects and are not shown in the light that they should be. The sources that I have researched agree with the public conversation and the different effects media representation is having on our society but more specifically on adolescents especially young girls.

khaliyahfraz
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Khaliyah Frazier

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum