lexi paeth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

lexi paeth

Post  lexipaeth on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:35 pm

Rhetorical situations are situations in which you are given the opportunity to present information in whichever way you please. However, you must choose the correct way to present, state and explain your information to ensure your point gets across to the reader. The way I would explain a rhetorical analysis to a friend is by basically asking them about every detail of their writing. How will you present it, what specific information and facts will you include, will there be humor, or is it a serious subject? On top of that, will you present this information in an essay, or a way where the information is chopped up into sections, such as a question and answer type of paper. It is planning your paper out exactly how you think the information will best be presented and accurately depicted by your audience.
When writing online, I think pathos are mostly appealed to. I believe this because pathos is how you get a reader to understand the way you are feeling, without actually physically being with them. For example, you could be talking to someone online and while you are joking around and laughing on your end of the computer, on the other end, the reader may think you are being completely serious and non-humeral. Therefore, you must be completely clear with how you are writing so the reader understands what you are trying to say.

lexipaeth
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: lexi paeth

Post  lexipaeth on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:49 pm

Kairos is defined as when the time is right to complete a certain task. Based on how the world is today, modern day concerns with web blogs involve whether or not the information posted is appropriate for the world to see and whether it is correct information or not. I do agree with this, and as a young adult who uses social media and the internet everyday, I do think it is a growing problem. People who post things to social media sometimes forget that once you post it, it is there forever, whether you delete it in the end or not. I personally am concerned with what some people post and if they are aware of the consequences that could come along with it. Besides that, I think that some things people post are inappropriate and are not for all eyes to see. I think the importance of voyeurism relates to the importance of knowing that what you are reading or watching at some point may not be reality. Therefore, you cannot learn to always believe what you see or read, and follow that. Just because you saw someone do something, or read something, does not mean that it is correct, and what you do will reflect on you.

1. Has the concern with web blogs just started to surface with the rising popularity of social media and the internet?
2. How does kairos relate to voyeurism?
3. Why does the article bring up the Clinton-Lewinsky scandle?

lexipaeth
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lexipaeth on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:18 pm

Kairos is the right moment in time to do something. For example, if a certain social media is popular and hot, and you have a great idea for this social media that you think will get you a lot of hits, it would be kairos. AKA the perfect time for you to put this plan into action. Based on this article, it is clear that there are many issues with web-blogs that many people are or are not aware of. For example, in the beginning of the article, the bullet points showed examples of people that may or may have not known what circumstances come along with web-blogs. Some people may think that what they post will never be seen by people unless they are specifically told about this blog. Or, people may know that what they post is public, but may not think that as many people will see it as they thought. When posting on the internet, you must keep in mind that what you post is for all to see. The importance of voyeurism is to keep in mind that even if you think people don't want to/will not be that interested to see what you are posting, there is always someone that wants to peep their eyes into your life, even if you aren't interested in their life. I think this is important because it relates to a lot of things in an given persons life. For example, this could be associated with people creeping/stalking others. After reading the article for the second time and discussing some of it in class, I understand what the article is talking about and do not have any questions about it as of now.

lexipaeth
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lexipaeth on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:35 pm

The comic I choose to write about it one which has a funny, comical tone to it. It is intended to have a quirky, humorous side to it in a joking type of way. For example, the comic starts with two groups of kids, both appear to be about the same age, and they are fighting over who can use the playground. “Did I stutter? I said no little boys are allowed on this playground”, says a sophisticated young boy to another group of little boys dressed as super heroes. “I’ll show you who’s a baby. Ginger locks! “ “Bring it on, Bat-Mite!” The comic ends with them fighting like girls.
Based on the flow of this comic, and how it starts and ends, I would think that this comic is for boys near the age of 12-14. This website in which I found the comics is all about super heroes and their troubles with being the age they are, which is young. Boys around this age also tend to like super hero things, whether it be movies, or toys, or in this case, comics. Therefore, I think that young boys that may be going through the same struggles can relate to this and find this kind of comic entertaining. It is not a serious comic, and each one has little kid humor involved.
The way boys communicate at this age is in a way that they thing they are better than one another. They value authority over one another, because they want to be the ‘cool kid’. This comic displays this type of behavior, and little boys can relate to that and laugh at it. Especially if it is humorous and involves two groups of kids getting in a hissy fit.
This comic does a good job at communicating humor in an appropriate, yet playful way. If the writer would have made the comic any more serious or used more mature characters, the flow of the comic would not have been as smooth and the readers of this age group would have been more uninterested. It is obvious the writer of the comic knows how to communicate to the right age group in the right way in order to get the readers to want to check back in for more comics.

lexipaeth
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lexipaeth on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:16 pm

While watching this video, I noticed that the politicians asking the President questions stated a lot of the changes Obama has made while in Congress. This includes, how much the spending has increased, what policies have been revised/made, as well as what Obama said his plan is for certain policies, plans, etc, and what Obama actually ended up doing. One example of this is when Obama told the people he would broadcast the health care debates, but never did (24:00). Something else I noticed was how politicians point out what policies and idea Obama has that have failed, and how the Republicans new ideas can be put forth. What the politicians fail to leave out of their responses/questions is what Obama has done that has made a positive impact on the economy. They also fail to keep in mind what happens to the economy automatically without Obama taking action, and what plans of action Obama has actually used that was theirs. The politicians aim to please the Republicans, which is obvious since they are all Republican as well, and lean towards plans that include lowering spending. The Republican politicians even propose ideas relating to what Obama can do to help fix the recession taking place. The politicians often include some form of pathos in their questions to Obama, which includes emotional and personal aspects to help prove their point and make what they are trying to argue more powerful. This can be shown in one of the very first speakers when he told the short story of his interference with an unemployed person. A lot of the speakers use facts and data, which can be considered ethos. One example of this is when the politician said that Obama had increased spending by 84%. Apart from this, many politicians use facts, such as what changes Obama has made, or what he promised to do that he hasn't to prove their point.

lexipaeth
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lexipaeth on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:33 am

In the first part of Ong's writing, his general argument is that literacy itself is essential for normal human communication, expression, and basic thoughts. Ong uses the argument that without literacy, people lack a simple mechanical skill that helps us to understand what writing is accomplishing, how it is being expressed, what it means, etc. Ong says, "Such views of writing as simply a mechanical skill obligatory for all human beings distort our understanding of what is human if only because they block understanding of what natural human mental processes are before writing takes possession of consciousness". Here, he is stating the fact that literacy is needed to proceed with life and not have mental blocks because you don't understand because you are illiterate. In another section he states, "Functionally literate persons, those who regularly assimilate dis-course such as this, are not simply thinking and speaking human beings but chirographically thinking and speaking human beings (latterly conditioned also by print and by electronics)". Literacy doesn't only mean being able to think clearly however, it is also about transferring those thoughts and speaking them aloud or writing them down.

lexipaeth
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lexipaeth on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:47 pm

1. Gee's definition of literacy confused me a bit. He used the word discourse throughout his whole explanation. He described it as the way people use language, thinking, and acting that define what type of group a person comes from or which they are in. The language, thinking and acting you acquire throughout your life you learn either through acquisition and learning. Literacy is important for use of language between people and communicating. Thus, if you are illiterate you cannot understand ones language by means of them speaking it or writing it.

2. This didn't alter my understanding of literacy, but it did help me to understand it more. It makes sense the way he uses discourse with relation to literacy. However, I am unsure if this article is trying to say that literacy is the way people act and behave and communicate with each other in this way or not. I think of literacy as being able to read and interpret a writing or the way someone is speaking to you rather versus how you act and behave.

lexipaeth
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lexipaeth on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:29 pm

Literacy has affected me in a number of ways throughout my life, and it continues to every day. One way it affects me is in terms of politics. If I was illiterate, not only would I not be able to read documents and articles about politics, but I would also not be able to understand the debates and speeches politicians give through live television. Another way literacy affects me is in school. Nowadays, we use electronics for everything. However, 5 years ago electronics were not the way we learned through, and we would have to read books and interpret and analyze them. Lastly, literacy affects me too when I am choosing to read for fun. If I was not literate, I would not enjoy books and reading as much because I wouldn't understand the story line as well and appreciate the book/author.

lexipaeth
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lexipaeth on Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:31 pm

1. Should the wolf population be controlled because of the wolves dangerous habits to the human population?

2. How does the human brain work while we are sleeping?

lexipaeth
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lexipaeth on Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:43 pm

1. Deil-Amen, Regina, Cecilia Rios-Aguilar, Charles H.F. Davis, III, and Manuel Canche. Social Media in Higher Education: A Literature Review and Research Directions. Social Media in Higher Education: A Literature Review and Research Directions. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2015. <http://www.academia.edu/1220569/Social_Media_in_Higher_Education_A_Literature_Review_and_Research_Directions>.

This is a useful source because it discusses different forms of social media that are popular today, as well as the effects these forms of social media has on students and their learning ability. However, it also talks about how schools are taking more steps to turn to social media for number of things, including raising awareness for certain events and activities, on school resources, etc. This is going to be helpful in writing my paper because the source doesn't take on side, it talks about the good and bad effects that social media usage by schools, as well as by students.

2. Hua, Ma, Kristen Tarantino, and Jessica McDonough. "The Journal of Technology in Student Affairs." Effects of Student Engagement with Social Media on Student Learning: A Review of Literature. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2015. <http://www.studentaffairs.com/ejournal/Summer_2013/EffectsOfStudentEngagementWithSocialMedia.html>.

This is a helpful source to use for my paper because it discusses the challenges associated with social media usage and its effect on students and how effectively they are studying. It also mentions integrating course content into social media to make it more academically useful for students and teachers. The source also talks about how we can make social media more academically friendly for students, and how social media itself can be used a source. This is useful for my paper because it goes into detail about how social media can be made a school-friendly tool, and what we can do to help the social media case.

3. Moran, Mike, Jeff Seaman, and Hester Tinti-Kane. "Teaching, Learning, and Sharing: How Today's Higher Education Faculty Use Social Media." Eric.ed.gov. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Apr. 2015.
<http://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED535130>.

This source is useful in giving me actual data and facts about social media usage by students, as well as teachers to help engage students in homework and studies. It discusses how teachers use social media to post homework assignments, deadlines, and other important information that students might not see elsewhere. The article also makes sure to mentions the downside of using social media for school purposes such as the fact that it takes a lot of time to set up, and how it often will lead students to be more distracted because of other links and things on the social media. This article is useful in giving me data and facts that I can use as evidence in my paper rather than just having statements that articles and websites give me.

4. "Seomworld." The Effect of Social Media on Education. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <http://www.seomworld.com/2013/09/the-effect-of-social-media-on-education.html#.VTVFkHubPao>.

This website was a little different, as it listed out the pros and cons of social media usage by students. While it is helpful in giving two sides of the story, it also discusses Universities that are taking more of a social media approach to try and engage students in classroom activities more. One thing I thought was interesting that this article brought up, was how some Universities are starting to offer online, free courses to the general public to take. This article gives me a solid list of 10 reasons why social media is good, and bad for students. It will be helpful in arguing both sides of the argument.

5. "Negative Effects of Social Networking Sites for Students - Performancing." Performancing. N.p., 02 Nov. 2012. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <http://performancing.com/negative-effects-of-social-networking-sites-for-students/>.

This article is different from a lot of the other websites I have found because of the fact that it picks a side: social medias negative effect on students. It not only talks about how social media leads to students becoming more easily distracted, procrastination, and time management, but it also talks about the actual health hazards that social media causes for students. It explains the physical effects that constant use of the internet and social media will eventually have on students. This is a useful source because it argues for one side. It also has a list of reasons why social media is affecting students, and it goes into detail and explains the reasoning.

People who use social media can all probably agree that social media is a distracting, easy way to get away from school for a few minutes. While many people use social media just to fill in time they have while waiting in line for food, on the bus, etc, the more people use it, the more addicted they become to it. It is easy to argue the negative affects that social media has on students, but it is interesting to look into the reasons why social media is helping students. With social media, it is easier to stay updated on what is going on in your class if your teacher uses this as a source for her students. However, social media has also become a tool to help students understand what the homework is asking by providing online tutors and resources that will help a student learn the material in the course. The sources that I have picked out outline this very well. While a few of them only pick one side of the argument, a few of them mention both the pros and the cons, and further expand on each point.

lexipaeth
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum