Hills Like White Elephants

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hills Like White Elephants

Post  kedb79 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:04 pm

"They look like white elephants" "They are lovely hills" "They don't really look like white elephants I just meant the coloring of there skin through the trees" "I wanted to try this new drink. That's all we do isn't look at things and try new drinks?" "And then you think we will be alright and be happy" "If you don't want to do it you don't have to. I wouldn't have you do it if you didn't want to. But I know it is perfectly simple." "Its really an awfully simple operation, Jig Its not really an operation at all." I chose these quotes because I feel it really showed what was happening in the story. The author chose an interested way of showing what was truly going on in the story. I believe when the girl "Jig" is talking about what elephants she is talking about a baby and that the operation they are talking about is having an abortion. She is starting to second guess herself having one and her boyfriend or husband wants to convince her to have one and keeps telling her that everything is going to be okay. And the drinks represent how they have trouble communicating together and that drinking is all they really can do together. The other used these symbols like drinking and white elephants to show what was really happening in this story.

kedb79
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top