Ong's Paper The Written Word

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ong's Paper The Written Word

Post  kedb79 on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:27 pm

What I got out of Ong's Paper is that he believes that all people should be literate and it is a still that everyone should accomplish. In the paper he says " Illiterates should learn writing as they learned to tie their shoe-laces or to drive a car." He is suggesting that it is a skill that everyone should accomplish. What I think he is arguing about is that because of writing it is because people are literate. And people who aren't should learn how to properly write. He says in his paper that " For without a deep understanding of the normal oral or oral-aural consciousness and noetic economy of humankind before writing came along, it is impossible to grasp what writing accomplished." What I believe he is saying is that before writing people couldn't fully understand how to properly speak to one another. He is also arguing that people who are literate are people who are conditioned not only by writing but with electronics as well. For example, in his paper he says "Functionally literate persons, those who regularly assimilate discourse such as this, are not simply thinking and speaking human beings but chirographically thinking and speaking human beings." He believes we live in an oral world and he says "The oral world as such distresses literates because sound is evanescent. Typically, literates want words and thoughts pinned down- though it is impossible to 'pin down' an event. The mind trained in an oral culture does not feel the literate's distress: it can operate with exquisite skill in the world of sounds, events, evanescences." Like he said earlier in the paper he believes literates struggle with this oral world because literates try to (like he said in his paper) "pin down" certain things and unfortunately we don't live in that kind of world. That is what I think he is arguing and talking about in his paper

kedb79
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top