pre-writing assignment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

pre-writing assignment

Post  MalikFowl on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Malik Fowler
English 1000

Through many technological advances, newly found information is in the palm of our hands at our disposal. More than a hundred ways to receive information everyday, one of the most popular ways to receive information is through the use of social media. Social media such, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and millions of web blogs across the internet. Blogs keep us up to date on all types of information ranging from the latest discovery in science, to the newest trends in fashion and many more. The Urban Dailey is a blog that covers multiple topics and updated everyday.
The Urban Daily blog is structurally sound. It is organized in reverse chronological order, keeping the most recent stories towards the top of the blog. It offers many different news categories to chose from, some of which being music, news, TV, and tech. This helps narrow down ones search if they are only looking for a specific genre of information if they want. Depending on the type of posts the audience reads it also recommends other posts for one to read, keeping one interested at all times.
The audience for the Urban Dailey seems as if it would suite peoples aged from seventeen to about thirsty-five or so. Between these ages it would seem we develop a somewhat addiction for what is going on in the world and as if we need to know about everything. We tend to snoop in the lives of other people, other people being celebrities. The Urban Daily has many posts and articles that one can read about pertaining to a persons personal life. One of the most recent articles on the blog relates to the most recent incident between NFL superstar running back Ray Rice and his wife on an elevator. A prime example of us regular people digging into the personal life of someone else.
The common audience for the Urban Dailey is somewhat hard to depict. The audience however does communicate through each other with comments. The negative part about the blog is that many people tend to not comment on posts, making it hard to decipher just exactly who the audience is. Also, with the posts having a lack of comments it is extremely hard to tell just exactly what the audience seems to value.
The Urban Dailey interacts with its audience extremely well. It allows one to also connect to the blog with their Facebook account. The Urban Daily gives the audience to make posts, people tend to avoid that option. It easy to maneuver and is extremely user friendly.

MalikFowl
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Gee’s “What is Literacy”

Post  MalikFowl on Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:29 pm

James Paul Gee begins his definition of what literacy is by first explaining other words that help strengthen his claim. He builds up to his definition by first explaining discourse, and many different disciplines behind it. Gee first tells us to think of discourse as an "identity kit"which comes with instructions on how to act and talk. Gee makes a good claim on how does one come to control their discourses. He then begins to then discuss the relationship between acquiring and learning. Gee says that acquiring something is to be subconsciously exposed to something and learning is when something is taught to a person. Gee soon comes to the conclusion that "literacy is control of secondary use of language." A given example of primary discourse is telling your mother that you love her, whereas telling your teacher that you don't have your homework is a secondary use. Something i can relate to. Gee goes on to say that there are two disciplines of literacy; dominant literacy and powerful literacy. Gee defines dominant literacy as the control over secondary use of language, and powerful literacy is basically used as a tool to critique other secondary discourses. Referring back to something Gee mentioned earlier was that "Any discourse, primary or secondary, is for most people most of the time only mastered through acquisition, not learning. Thus, literacy is mastered through acquisition, not learning, that is, it requires exposure to models in natural meaningful, and functional settings, and teaching is not liable to be very successful-it may even initially get in the way. Time spent on learning and not acquisition is time not well spent if the goal is mastery in performance." Gee is saying in a nutshell that literacy is something acquired but some discourses behind literacy must first be learned to fully understand literacy.

This reading somewhat did change my understanding of what literacy is. It is more than just reading and writing and comprehending. Literacy is acquired through ones personal experiences and can actually be mastered. After reading this i feel like many experiences in my life have helped strengthen my literacy. things like breaking my arm and thinking about various different papers i have wrote throughout my academic career.

MalikFowl
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ong's Paper

Post  MalikFowl on Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Within Part I of Ong's Paper he seems to make a lot of claims about literacy. He compares literacy in high technology cultures to ones across the world, and how it is setting the standard for those. Unlike Gee, Ong seems to focus on the importance of writing and not the many discourses of literacy. Ong goes on to say that "Without writing, the literate mind would not and could not think as it does, not only when engaged in writing but even when it is composing its thoughts in oral form" (24). It seems as if Ong is stating that writing is the strength behind literacy. But then later on in his paper, towards the beginning of part II, Ong says that "Writing is simply a thing, something to be manipulated, something inhuman, artificial, a manufactured product" (27). In my eyes, I don't see how something so simple as writing could be seen as inhumane. It would seem that Ong's main argument is that writing is a negative thing, but it is used in everyday life.

MalikFowl
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pre-writing assignment: Literacy Story

Post  MalikFowl on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:30 pm

The day was May 23, 2014. It was the day of the State Sectional Track Meet. This meet was the deciding factor if i would go on to run another track meet, or if this would be my last track meet as De La Salle Meteor. Th weather was fairly nice for an outdoor meet in Chicago. Me and all of my teammates were excited and ready to go to war one last time, because it was go hard or go home. We had done our usual team warm up as we always do, then we soon went off to focus on our events.
I was excited, but at the same time a little worried. I wasn't running at the best of my abilities, due to a hip injury i had. But i wouldn't let anything stop me from running my potential last track meet. I was feeling a little derated because i was racing against someone who had previously beaten me in the hurdles before, but i felt that i could at least give him a run for his money this time around. I had talked to my coach before the preliminary race, he told "go out there and have fun" and i definitely did.
As i was getting in the blocks, my adrenaline was on full blast, i was so anxious. As the gunman did his calls i couldn't hear anything but his voice. Time felt as if it had slowed down for a moment. Then he said "SET!" and within three seconds the gun had went off and i was over my first hurdles in a flash. As i was racing i could hear my teammates and family cheering me on. I had won my heat so i was going to the final race of the hurdles, and my hip still felt pretty damn good.
I remember touching the track as i got into my blocks. Running on the track for the team warm up, it had a good feel to it. it was a good track. The weather could've been warmer, but then again you never know what type of weather you'll end up with in Chicago. Hearing my fellow team co-captain give us a speech before the meet to get us all pumped. Hearing the actual gun go off as i jetted out of the blocks. Seeing all the hurdles lined up in a row, seeing my fellow competition. Also seeing my teammate come down the straightaway to give me the baton on the four by two hundred meter relay.

MalikFowl
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hills Like White Elephants

Post  MalikFowl on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:34 pm

"It's really an awfully simple operation, Jig," the man said. "It's not really an operation at all"
"I'll go with you and I'll stay with you all the time. They just let the air in and then it's perfectly natural."
"I think it's the best thing to do. But I don't want you to do it if you don't really want to."
"Oh, yes. But I don't care about me. And I'll do it and then everything will be fine."

Hemingway's style of writing seems very smooth. His word choice is very simple, but somewhat deep. He mentions an operation within the story, but never tells the reader what the actual operation is, leaving the reader to infer and guess on their own. But Hemingway does drop very tiny hints about the operation. Making his style of writing very unique, telling the reader the operation without actually telling them what the operation is. His style of writing also seems very contrasting. When I first read the title I thought the story would be about just that, but the story was not about that at all. The Hills like white elephants where just something the couple in the bar noticed outside. Another key aspect in Hemingway's writing style for the story is that it was told by someone over hearing the conversation between the couple, but the writing and dialogue was so smooth one actually felt as if they were there actually listening to the conversation.

MalikFowl
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bibliography

Post  MalikFowl on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Ventura, Matthew, Valerie Shute, and Yoon Jeon Kim. "Video Gameplay, Personality and Academic Performance." Computers and Education 58.4 (2012): 1260-266. Science Direct. Web. 1 Nov. 2014. <http://www.sciencedirect.com.proxy.mul.missouri.edu/science/article/pii/S0360131511003071>.

Greitemeyer, Tobias, and Dirk O. Mügge. "Video Games Do Affect Social Outcomes A Meta-Analytic Review of the Effects of Violent and Prosocial Video Game Play." Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin (2014). Print.

Adachi, P. J. C., and T. Willoughby. "Do Video Games Promote Positive Youth Development?" Journal of Adolescent Research (2013): 155-65. Print.

Gibb, Gerald D., James R. Bailey, Thomas T. Lambirth, and William P. Wilson. "Personality Differences Between High and Low Electronic Video Game Users." The Journal of Psychology (1983): 159-65. Print.

Chory, Rebecca M., and Alan K. Goodboy. "Is Basic Personality Related To Violent And Non-Violent Video Game Play And Preferences?" Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking: 101117142358006. Print.

MalikFowl
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Final Presentation

Post  MalikFowl on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:22 am

For my digital presentation I created a blog in which i talked about some of my favorite memories from my high-school track and field career.

the link to my blog:
http://trackandfieldmemories.blogspot.com/

MalikFowl
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: pre-writing assignment

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top