Q and A with the pres

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Q and A with the pres

Post  DrewLipp on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:21 pm

The Q and A didnt seem like a traditional Q and A session. A lot of the questions are not really worded like a professional question. Instead they were worded to take shots at the president and put him down.

DrewLipp
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pre Writing 1

Post  DrewLipp on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:10 pm

Drew Lippert
English

Questionable content is a storytelling comic, meaning that the story starts with the first strip and doesn’t end until the comic loses popularity. Questionable Content had its debut on August 1, 2003 and the comic still grows every week. This comic represents its self as being sexual, funny, techy, dramatic, and indie rock culture plays a big role in it also. The drama usually comes without warning. Claire one of the new more subtle characters causes a dramatic plot twist. In strip 2323 Marten was flirting with her when they got interrupted and began walking inside. Claire calls for him and he asks “what’s up?” she then says “I…I’m trans”. This just shows the drama in this comic. All the characters play video games and most of them have their own automated robots. There is lots of sexual humor in this comic. A mildly vulgar example is when Marten suggests they change the name of their punk band from death mole to something more fitting of their sound. One of the members agrees but then his girlfriend says “I will withhold sex for a month if we do not name this band deathmole”.
The audience of the comic is descriptive of the characters. The audience is made up of single young adults, men or women, which are “techy”, like to play video games, and blog. The audience would be young single adults because of all the romance in the comic. They would be techy and like to play video games because the characters in the comic all play video games and talk about technology all the time. These things lead me to believe that the audience is almost identical to the characters in the comic.
The comic has its own forum website with thousands of bloggers. There is an abundance of threads from the “Drunk Thread-Now with added hangovers” to “Should a character adopt a dog?”. There is also a “Flirting in the forum” blog which leads me to believe that most of the people on this blog are single. The people on the forum write like they are young adults. When people post in the forum it seems that it is either compassionate or thoughtful when they are relating to the comic. When they are in a thread about humor or a miscellaneous thread they seem to be sarcastic and dry humored. There is a video game and technology thread with lots of posts making it seem that they value those things.
Questionable Content works so well with its audience for a couple reasons. First, anyone who is single is going to be able to relate to this comic. They will be able to relate so easily because the romance in the comic is so realistic that whoever the single reader is has probably experience something close to or identical to the romantic situations in the comic. Secondly, the comic has an abundance of characters that are all unique. That being said almost anyone will be able to relate to at least one of the characters.

DrewLipp
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What is literacy?

Post  DrewLipp on Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:29 pm

Gee defines literacy as "a piece of folk wisdom" and the perfection of discourse. To perfect you focus on "the larger discourse of linguistics contains many sub discourse, differently socially accepted ways of being a linguist." to be able be fluent in every type of sub discourse, especially secondary discourse. Secondary discourse is like treating a loved one like a non intimate person if you were to work together. Secondary discourse allows for literacy to be created for anyone or any culture. "Literacy is is control of secondary use of language".

Yes it changed my understanding of literacy. It made me understand that there is more than one type of discourse. There is sub discourse like secondary discourse that you can use to better your literacy to appeal to a certain audience.

DrewLipp
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ong's Paper

Post  DrewLipp on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:37 pm

At first it seams that Ong is explaining that everyone should be able to be literate because someone can teach you the structure or you can pick up on it naturally. He is speaking of people capable of being literate. Ong states "Illiterates should learn writing as they learned to tie their shoe-laces or to drive a car. Such views of writing as simply a mechanical skill obligatory for all human beings distort our understanding of what is human if only because they block understanding of that natural human mental processes are before writing takes possession of consciousness." I think he is saying that the standard of writing is blocking our understanding of what writing actually is and what we are actually capable of doing. He also says later on that the diversity of writing can better your understanding of the differences between the oral and illiterate mind. This is because you would be able to look take on both perspectives. Ong believes writing is the structure of who we are, how we think, and how we speak. He states "Without writing, the literate mind would not and could not think as it does, not only when engaged in writing but even when it is composing its thoughts in oral form."

DrewLipp
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

cause of pole vault injuries

Post  DrewLipp on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:40 pm

This article is about pole vaulting and pole vaulting injuries. It starts off talking about how dangerous the sport is and how many injuries come from partaking in the sport. It explains some of the typical injuries and how they are usually inflicted on the person who has them happen to them. This is where the article gets specific. It explains exactly how the injuries happen. It goes through almost any scenario of what you can do wrong to make the pole break and shows the likely places you will fall and what position your body will be in when you hit the ground.

From this article i can draw information out of the explanation of scenarios about how the pole breaks and can match it to mine. So i can use some of the discourse from this article to better my paper. It will be able to make my explanation easier to understand and interesting to read.

DrewLipp
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

bibliography for final paper

Post  DrewLipp on Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:28 pm

Bibliography
Mokhtar, Mutahharah M.; Taib, Rozainee M.; Hassim, Mimi H. Atmospheric Pollution ______-Research. 2014, Vol. 5, p388-397. 10p. DOI: 10.5094/APR.2014.045. , Database: Environment Complete
Mittal, Moti; Sharma, Chhemendra; Singh, Richa. Environmental Monitoring & Assessment. ______Oct2014, Vol. 186 Issue 10, p6857-6866. 10p. DOI: 10.1007/s10661-014-3894-3. , Database: Environment Complete
Mokhtar, Mutahharah M.; Hassim, Mimi H.; Taib, Rozainee M. Process Safety & Environmental _______Protection: Transactions of the Institution of Chemical Engineers Part B. Sep2014, Vol. 92 Issue 5, p476-485. 10p. DOI: 10.1016/j.psep.2014.05.008. , Database: Environment Complete
Geng, Chunmei; Chen, Jianhua; Yang, Xiaoyang; Ren, Lihong; Yin, Baohui; Liu, Xiaoyu; Bai, _______Zhipeng. Journal of Environmental Sciences (Elsevier). Jan2014, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p160-166. 7p. DOI: 10.1016/S1001-0742(13)60393-9. , Database: Business Source Premier
Wu, D.; Du, J.; Deng, H.; Wang, W.; Xiao, H.; Li, P. International Journal of Environmental ________Science & Technology (IJEST). Mar2014, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p357-366. 10p. DOI: 10.1007/s13762-013-0193-4. , Database: Environment Complete

DrewLipp
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Q and A with the pres

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top