Reading Responses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reading Responses

Post  KristaTock on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:35 pm

Before composing a paper or speech, the writer needs to know and understand the rhetorical situation at hand. It is different for every experience. To a friend, I would explain it as rhetorical means to persuade or impress using written or spoken words. Rhetorical situation is taking that a step further and changing your wording or style to appeal to a certain audience. For example, a funeral requires a eulogy while a graduation requires a commencement speech. For each, you change the purpose, genre, style, and vocabulary to appeal to that certain audience. Rhetorical analysis is the breakdown of the different parts of a speech and how they all come together for one specific purpose or effect on the audience.

When I write, I believe I appeal more to the logos. I like to get straight to the point. Using logic is clear-cut and understandable to me. I like to be taught just the facts, with not much critical thinking involved. I believe I enjoy science for this reason. In science there is usually always one correct answer. You just need to memorize the material and know how to apply it. Chances are as I get into the research part of science, I will have to use more critical thinking to help solve a problem. In the end, there will still be one clear-cut answer... hopefully.

Last edited by KristaTock on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

KristaTock
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

President Obama's Constructive Debate

Post  KristaTock on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:47 am

During the debate, audience members would begin with expressing their opinion that would lead into a constructive question for President Obama. The politicians would include percentages and mathematical evidence to contradict the President’s policy choices. To one politician’s statement, President Obama responded by saying, “You need to show me your math.” Thus, the politicians were trying to use their mathematical data, but Obama did not believe their evidence was correct. During the debate, he believed one politician misheard or misunderstood him in a speech given two days earlier. The man believed Obama said that these politicians have not provided any ideas for policy changes. After Obama said he never said that, the man still tried to use that statement as evidence against him in his argument.

I have noticed that with many of these debates with President Obama, the same subjects are discussed. These subjects include job loses, health care, budget increases, and policies. During this debate, policies were most discussed. The politicians described his policies as “Job Killing Policies.” One women asked the President to relook at his policies to reassure the community that he is listening to them. Yet, she did not provide information about how she believes we can improve the policies.

The tone of the speakers changed as the debate went on. In the beginning, the speakers would have a calm yet eager and excited tone in their voices. The first couple of people thanked the President for coming and told him “Pleasure to have you here today.” As the time went on, the speakers got more anxious and sounded concerned. One man became interruptive by interrupting Obama right in the middle of his turn to speak. After that, Obama’s tone changed too, from calm and confident to annoyed and aggravated. His voice would get louder and high pitched at the end of each sentence. All speakers sounded confident and clear throughout the entire debate.

Throughout the debate, I heard the use of logos, pathos, and ethos. Logos was more used by the audience. They would ask questions with mathematical statements. For example, one audience member used percentages as her evidence to back up her statement and lead to her question. She was looking more on a logical point of view. On the other hand, President Obama had more of an ethical point of view, and pertained more to the ethos. Obama would look for what he believes would be right for America and its people. In his own words, “Planning more for the future… and find out what is useful”. As for Pathos, both sides used emotion. One audience member discussed about his disappointment with the President because he said he wrote many letters asking for a discussion about polices and never got a letter or response back. He felt like the President did not want to discuss these problems and did not want to work together. Obama contradicted that by stating, “I do want to work together” and “Sunshine is the best disinfectant.” He even took this opportunity to blame the media. He said that the media only wants “slash and burn” comments. That if he said something nice about another leader, it would not make the newspaper. Yet, if he said something negative, it would be on every newspaper.

KristaTock
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Prewriting Assignment #1

Post  KristaTock on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:42 pm

The blog, In My Humble Opinion, is written by Jordan Grumet, an Internal Medical Physician. He presents his blog in a respectful manner. He writes about the hardships of being a doctor and the relationship between a doctor and patient. While writing, his audience can see how he has grown to realize “Sometimes Doctoring reveals my failings as a human being.” He explains that being a doctor isn’t as glamorous as it is made out to be. You see life and you see death.

The ideal audience would be medical school students and new doctors in their twenties. This audience will get a feel for what being a doctor is really like if they do not know. Also, it can be relatable to others. To share similar problems and how to get through them mentally.

After reading through the comments, the audience seems to be a group of encouragers. Not necessarily doctors, but just people who praise Dr. Grumet for his honesty. They offer words of encouragement, which is probably all this young doctor needs. I find some comments that seem to be from doctors, helping his access a condition or express his or her own opinions on a procedure. They seem to value the understanding and thoughtfulness put forward by a doctor for a patients.

This blog works with its audience by providing a support group. The writer isn’t writing for the audience’s entertainment, but rather for help. This blog is a place for the writer to express his feelings and tell the audience what’s troubling him, secretly asking for help and words of encouragement. Which is exactly what the audience is giving him and probably receiving at the same time.

KristaTock
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Literacy

Post  KristaTock on Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:10 pm

James Paul Gee defines literacy as being a control of secondary use of language or as use of language in secondary discourses. When using the word discourse, he means a socially acceptable way of using language to identify oneself as a member of a group. To now re-define literacy, is use of a language in a socially acceptable way. Literacy is not something that can be taught and learned. It is something that has to be mastered through subconsciously being naturally exposed to it. To acquire literacy one need to know that he/she will need to gain this knowledge in order to function, not because he/she is being forced.

This did change my understanding of literacy, although somewhat confusing. I use to believe literacy was just the written word and the meaning behind it. I also believed that we learned it in school. Literacy is much more than that, it is being able to use a language in a socially acceptable manner. We acquire it in natural settings and pick it up because it is necessary to function socially. Now that I look back, I did not learn to read from school, I acquired the skill more and more each day from my surroundings. Hearing other people talk, seeing billboards, watching TV. Therefor, the group I acquired literacy from is my family. Literacy is not something you can sit down with a child with and teach them, they need to find their own way to acquire the skill.

KristaTock
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Written Word

Post  KristaTock on Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:16 pm

In Ong’s paper he argues about the differences between the oral and literate mind. In the beginning he discuss how “literacy is an always to be expected and even natural state of affairs” (Ong 23). But, as he goes on in his paper he contradicts that statement by stating he believes literate minds do not come from natural powers but come out of structure. The literate mind created writing and uses writing. On the other hand, there are some oral minds. For example, many languages are spoken but not written and are believed cannot be written. I believe Ong argues with this belief. “Writing destroys memory…writing weakens the mind” (Ong 27). With writing, people don’t need to think for themselves or analysis for themselves. He uses an example of asking someone to explain their statement, but in the response would be the same words maybe in a different way of saying it. Still leaving him with the same question unanswered. “Abundance of books makes men less studious” (Ong 28). Ong’s main argument is about our high-technology culture in which the written word has overpowered the oral word, leaving it with less importance and leaving man with less knowledge.

KristaTock
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hemingway's Story

Post  KristaTock on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:33 am

My Favorite quotes of dialogue is:
“I don’t feel any way,” the girl said. “I just know things.”
“Would you please please please please please please please stop talking?”
“Then I’ll do it. Because I don’t care about me.”

Hemingsway’s style is very descriptive. He describes what the characters see and touch. Being very descriptive of their surrounding a well. It’s almost like he wrote this intending it to become a play. The story starts with an opener of the scene, then goes on with dialogue and stops to explain the characters surroundings from time to time. It is easy to read but a little harder to understand because it is so conversational. Not the usual type of writing seen in novels. His is more dialogue based, while a novel is more narrative.

KristaTock
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Problem-Oriented Approach to Chemistry Teaching Article Response

Post  KristaTock on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:38 pm

In the article, Promoting Scientific Literacy Using a Sociocritical and Problem-Oriented Approach to Chemistry Teaching: Concept, Examples, Experiences, the authors' attempt to accomplish finding ways to better improve the concept, presentation, and curriculum of teacher chemistry. The authors’ believe they can accomplish this by promoting communication and evaluation skills within teaching chemistry. They also stated that it would be better for teachers not to fall not into pattern. They want to accomplish getting the students more actively motivated and involved in their learning of chemistry. Motivating the students can be done by comparing school science with real world applications. The authors quoted “In our opinion, one promising way to help students close the gap between school science, applications of science and technology and their critical evaluation can be brought about by designing chemistry lessons to include societal issues and discussions involving science and technology” (Marks and Eilks 232).

This Article by Ralf Marks and Ingo Eilks helps me understand my problem with being illiterate in chemistry. Before I believed I simply was not understanding the material. But the way it was being presented, my motivation, and the lack of communication in the 400 seated class were all contributing factors. Now that I better understand the problem, I can better evaluate it and maybe find a strategic way to become literate in this discourse.

KristaTock
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a no-kill dog shelter?

Post  KristaTock on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Bibliography

Philip H. Kass , John C. New Jr. , Janet M. Scarlett & Mo D. Salman (2001) Understanding Animal Companion Surplus in the United States: Relinquishment of Nonadoptables to Animal Shelters for Euthanasia, Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science, 4:4, 237-248. Web. 14 November 2014.

Mo D. Salman , Jennifer Hutchison , Rebecca Ruch-Gallie , Lori Kogan , John C. New Jr. , Phillip H. Kass & Janet M. Scarlett (2000) Behavioral Reasons for Relinquishment of Dogs and Cats to 12 Shelters, Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science, 3:2, 93-106. Web. 14 November 2014.

DiGiamcomo, Natalie, Arnold Arluke, and Gary Patronek. "Surrendering Pets TO Shelters: The Relinquisher's Perspective." Anthrozoos: A Multidisciplinary Journal of The Interactions of People & Animals, 11.1 (1998): 41-51. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.

Paul C. Bartlett , Andrew Bartlett , Sally Walshaw & Stephen Halstead (2005) Rates of Euthanasia and Adoption for Dogs and Cats in Michigan Animal Shelters, Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science, 8:2, 97-104. Web. 14 November 2014.

Frank, Joshua. "An Interactive Model of Human and Companion Animal Dynamics: The Ecology and Economics of Dog Overpopulation and the Human Costs of Addressing the Problem." Human Ecology 32.1 (2004): 107-30. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.

William P. Brown , Janelle P. Davidson & Marion E. Zuefle (2013) Effects of Phenotypic Characteristics on the Length of Stay of Dogs at Two No Kill Animal Shelters, Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science, 16:1, 2-18. Web. 14 November 2014.

John Wenstrup & Alexis Dowidchuk (1999) Pet Overpopulation: Data and Measurement issues in Shelters, Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science, 2:4, 303-319. Web. 14 November 2014.

KristaTock
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Research Essay Outline

Post  KristaTock on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:52 am

Research Essay Outline
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a no-kill dog shelter?
Intro: Thesis: For a no-kill dog shelter to operate, they need to be whiling to take in less dogs, understand some may stay there for years, and be committed to finding those specific dogs homes.

Key points:
- When should euthanasia be considered?
- Are people more likely to adopt from a no-kill dog shelter? Why?
- Owners surrendering their dogs to shelters
- Dog over population and how to prevent it
- How long do dogs stay at shelters before they are adopted? (average)
- Factors why specific dogs are in shelters/ are considered “nonadoptables”
- How long do dogs stay until they are euthanized in kill shelters?

Main points:
- No- kill shelters:
o Advantages: Dogs get a long “second chance”, they have a greater potential of being adopted,
o Disadvantages: no space for new dogs, may have some dogs in the shelter their whole life
- Kill Shelters:
o Advantages: more room for other dogs, can rescue more dogs
o Disadvantages: many dogs lose their life before starting a good one, they are considered “unwanted” dogs

Conclusion: Which type do most people adopt from? Which type is better based on population, adoptability, and care?

KristaTock
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reading Responses

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top