Reading Response Forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reading Response Forum

Post  leighhoepf on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:33 pm

Leigh Hoepf

Rhetorical analysis is the way speakers and writers use words to impact their audience. These speakers usually have a point they want to get across, or an emotion they want the audience to feel. With appropriate word choice the speech can persuade the audience to react in the way the writer intended. Rhetorical situation is how you interact with some one based on the situation, with the writer usually having an agenda. For example, rhetorical situation is considered when writing a letter, sending a text, or calling someone, based on the situation.
When I write online I think I appeal most to logos. I think it is difficult to make your writing emotional when writing online, because you are looking at a screen rather than a person. I think I appeal to logos because I usually need to have reason or research to back up my argument. Including research and evidence in your writings proves that you are informed about your topic, and you know what you're talking about.

leighhoepf
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Concerns With the Weblog

Post  leighhoepf on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:34 pm

According to the dictionary, kairos is "the opportune and decisive moment." This means the right moment to make a decision and take action. Based on the reading, a modern concern seen with the weblog is the issue of privacy. With the popularity of blogging increasing, it becomes more difficult to keep your life private. I agree with this. I think that our society has become accustomed to putting our lives out there for everyone to see, not only through blogging but with all forms of social media as well. It has become so easy to find any form of information about someone online. Another concern I have with the weblog is that because it is online anyone has access to it, even people you are not comfortable with reading it.
Voyeurism is important to how we understand writing and reading because we are intrigued with what we are reading and we want to find out more in detail. This relates to the weblog because we are reading about someone's personal, private life and we want to find out more. This is what draws us to read blogs.

Three questions I have about the reading are:
-What is the author's opinion on this?
-Do people who write blogs really want their lives to be private? If so, why write on the internet?
-What does blogging really accomplish?

leighhoepf
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reading Response Forum

Post  leighhoepf on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:48 pm

While watching this Q&A I observed how the politicians use evidence. They use evidence to back up what they say to make them seem more credible. They use this evidence to lead into the questions they ask Obama. However, they leave out the evidence that could go against their argument. For example, in the beginning the congressman uses information about unemployment in the past under different presidents, and tries to make it seem like it is Obama's fault for the recent unemployment. His tone is sort of blaming and aggressive towards Obama. Obama, though, has evidence to prove that this unemployment increase happened before any of his plans went into effect. They both used logos to support their argument. I observed that logos is used the most among the speakers. Obama uses logos the most as well. No one will believe a politician who doesn't have evidence to back up and support their claim.

leighhoepf
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Prewriting Assignment #1

Post  leighhoepf on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:19 am

My bog is a fashion blog called "The Sartorialist".  My blog presents itself as informative, yet also fun and inspiring.  With some pictures showing different street style, it makes the blog seem much more enjoyable and relaxed.  Many of the captions add to this artistic and unique feel to this blog.  For example, one of the captions under a picture of a woman with a long skirt says "I didn’t notice, until she was standing there, how harmoniously the horizontal silver lines of the grate, the vertical silver lines of her skirt, and the diagonal silver lines of her sneakers create a symphony of directions."  This shows how the photographer views fashion as an art, and it shows you his perspective.

I think the ideal audience for this blog is anyone who enjoys fashion, photography, or art in general.  But, I could see how this blog might appeal more to young women, due to the fact that the majority of the photos are young women and their clothing.  This blog does have a very clean, classy look.  So, I don't think it is geared towards women under the age of twenty.  This blog is appealing to women who are intrigued with fashion and enjoy observing different styles, because there are many different styles pictured.

There are many comments on this blog.  The majority of these comments, if not all, are very positive towards the blog.  It seems as though the audience enjoys the blog very much, as well as looking at the photographs.  For example, one comment was "Loved hearing your story and adore her skirt! Never a bad thing to dream."  Another comment was "Love this post! Your photo of that stylish and inspiring girl is a beautiful tribute."  The audience seems to really value and appreciate fashion.  They love reading and observing it, and it is something that is meaningful to them.

This blog and its audience work well together.  The audience supports the blog very much, and they lift it up.  The blog gives the audience something that they can appreciate.  The blog and the audience both give something to each other, making it worthwhile for each of them.

leighhoepf
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Literacy

Post  leighhoepf on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:56 pm

James Paul Gee begins by defining discourse as the accumulation of words, acts, and values that make a person talk with a certain attitude, body position, grammar, and so on. He says there is a "primary discourse", which is the discourse we pick up at home from our families, and a "secondary discourse", which we pick up elsewhere. He defines literacy as this secondary, or "dominant discourse", which is the socially acceptable way to speak and act in a society. He says this "dominant discourse" cannot be learned in a classroom, instead it is imitated through an apprenticeship. Gee also says that “dominant discourse” benefits those with it socially, by providing wealth, power, and reputation, making it the most useful.

James Paul Gee's views on literacy changed my understanding of literacy. I always defined literacy as the ability to read and write, and never really thought about it more in depth. I agree with a lot of things he said about discourse, and thinking about it, I find it to be very true that literacy is learned by social acquisition. This affects my understanding of my own literacy story because before I figured that my literacy story would be very similar to those of my classmates and the people who have attended the same high school as me. I learned that this is wrong though, because although we may have similar classes and teachers, our literacy is not taught to us in school. I went to a large high school with many different opportunities, clubs, sports teams, and cliques. This article made me realize that my literacy is different than those of my classmates, even my closest friends, due to our different experiences and involvement in different social groups.

leighhoepf
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ong's Paper

Post  leighhoepf on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:13 pm

I think, from the beginning of Ong's writting, his general argument is that literacy now days is arrogant. He thinks that it gives us a sense of superiority.  He also thinks literacy is an assumed norm regarded as the standard of correctness in human expression and thought, and someone who is not literate departs from this accepted norm.

Quotes:
"Literacy is imperious. It tends to arrogate to itself supreme power
by taking itself as normative for human expression and thought."

"The term 'illiterate' itself suggests that persons belonging to the
class it designates are deviants, defined by something they lack,
namely literacy."

leighhoepf
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pre-writing assignment: Literacy story

Post  leighhoepf on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:01 pm

We all stood outside of the huge, white house with a fresh cut lawn and perfect flowers growing in the garden.  I had no idea what to expect, but I was very hopeful that I was going to get something great out of this.  “Two minutes left!”  All the sudden I became very nervous.  We were all forced to stand in a single file line, and face the house with a big smile.  The pi chi ran down the line and sprayed each one of us with perfume.  “Big smiles, ladies, one minute left!”  My heart started beating rapidly.

A huge horn sounded off that could’ve been heard from a mile away.  All of the sudden the doors and windows of the house flew open.  There were girls peeking out of every opening of the house.  They started yelling at the top of their lungs and chanting.  They also had hand motions that went along with their chants.  All of the girls were smiling with their bright white teeth, perfect hair, and matching outfits.  Suddenly the line started moving as we all began to shuffle into the house.  

Right when I walked through the door a girl walked right up to me.  “Hi, I’m Brittany,” she said, “would you like some water?”  She picked up a water cup from a tray, which was being held by another smiling girl.  I took the water politely and we went into the living room to sit down.  As I looked around All the girls were walking with their arms folded behind their back, whispering to each other, as if what they were talking about was top secret.  It seemed something similar to a cult, not that I even knew what a cult was like.

When the doors flew open and I heard the chanting, I thought, “what the hell is this?  Why am I here?”  I was confused as to what the reason for all the yelling was and right away I felt out of place.  I looked nothing like these girls.  The girls I talked to were very nice but nothing meaningful ever came out of the conversations.  At the end of the day my cheeks hurt from forcing myself to smile.  I realized this would never be a group I would fit into, no matter how much I tried.  A few days later I dropped out of recruitment.

leighhoepf
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hills Like White Elephants

Post  leighhoepf on Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:07 am

Favorite lines of dialogue:
"And if I do it you'll be happy and things will be like they were and you'll love me?"
"But if I do it, then it will be nice again if I say things are like white elephants, and you'll like it?
"I don't care about me."
"And we could have everything and everyday we make it more impossible."

I think Hemingway's style of writing in this short story is very interesting. He barely gives any information about the background of the story, as well as information about the characters. We don't even really know what the characters are talking about throughout the story, yet this story is still very intriguing. It makes me wonder why he chose to leave out so much detail, because it is unlike most of the stories we read.

leighhoepf
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Additional Source for Literacy Paper

Post  leighhoepf on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:20 pm

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0734331006000279

The article I found examines the reasons and benefits of establishing collaborative outreach partnerships between academic librarians and student services professionals to meet the information literacy needs of Greek students.  It also talks about the common perception of student involvement in Greek student organizations, which is that it hinders academic achievement and often leads to poor academic performance.  This is due to factors such as plagiarism, alcohol abuse, and hazing.   It is also says that participation in Greek student organizations has been found to increase retention and student engagement. Yet, the author believes within the circles of Greek students and their alumni, networking and collaboration provide the keys for success in college and in the workforce.

This article could be valuable to my paper because it is relevant to my topic.  It further explains reasoning for what goes into Greek organizations, and how they can be beneficial.  With this, I am able to look closely at how Greek literacies are developed and the factors that make up Greek life.  I can use this article as a resource, when  looking into Greek life's literacy.

leighhoepf
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bibliography

Post  leighhoepf on Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:28 pm

Aikins, H. Austin. "Dreams." Journal of Applied Psychology 12.5 (1928): 534-35. MU Libraries. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.

Frost, Eliott Park. "Dreams." Psychological Bulletin 12.1 (1915): 22-25. MU Libraries. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.

Marder, Elissa. "Real Dreams." The Southern Journal of Philosophy 51 (2013): 196-213. MU Libraries. Web. 13 Nov. 2014.

Morewedge, Carey K., and Michael I. Norton. "When Dreaming Is Believing: The (motivated) Interpretation of Dreams." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 96.2 (2009): 249-64. MU Libraries. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.

Sigmund, Freud. "The Interpretation of Dreams." The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 125.1 (1957): 147. MU Libraries. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.

Stansell, Christine. "Historic Passion Dreams." History Workshop Journal 62.1 (2006): 241. MU Libraries. Web. 13 Nov. 2014.

Withers, Robert. "Descartes' Dreams." Journal of Analytical Psychology 53.5 (2008): 691-709. MU Libraries. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.

leighhoepf
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Research Paper Outline

Post  leighhoepf on Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:41 am

1.  Introduction
a.  What are dreams
-(Scientifically)
b.  The mystery behind them
-We rarely remember them
-They can sometimes be wacky
c.  We wonder what this means and what caused us to dream it

2.  Body
a.  Why do we dream what we dream
-nightmares
-re-occuring dreams
-certain people/places
b.  Psychological meaning behind dreams
-subconscious thoughts(?)
c.  Theories
-Ex.  They forecast the future

3.  Conclusion
a.  Mystery solved or unsolved
b.  What do our dreams say about us

leighhoepf
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Final Presentation

Post  leighhoepf on Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:39 pm

For my project I went around my dorm and interviewed different people. Because I wrote my research paper on dreams, I asked them what they thought the meaning of dreams was. The purpose of this video was to hear different people's responses and to see if there was a general agreement on the topic. Because there is no proven theory to explain the meaning of dreams, I thought it would be interesting to hear different people's opinions.

Here is the link to my video:
http://youtu.be/5TAQsXUAv_I

leighhoepf
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reading Response Forum

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top