Gee's Literacy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gee's Literacy

Post  kirstenpollmann on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:22 am

Gee starts off his definition of literacy by defining the word "discourse". Gee defines discourse, "I will mean: a socially accepted association among ways of using language, of thinking, and of acting that can be used to identify oneself as a member of a socially meaningful group or a social network." Then as a play off of discourse, Gee defines an identity kit, "...which comes complete with the appropriate costume and instructions on how to act and talk so as to take on a particular role that others will recognize." A way to think of an identity kit is to think as if you were being trained. Gee is basically getting at that literacy also has a social aspect, they way you present yourself in front of others, whether it is talking or getting your ideas out there.

This article did not change my way of thinking about literacy, rather it help me expand my understanding of it. It made me branch out and reflect on the social aspects of literacy. It also puts in your mind that literacy is not simply just being able to read or write.

kirstenpollmann
Initiate
Initiate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top