Specialized Language

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Specialized Language

Post  Nick Jones on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:50 pm

When I was in 9-11th grade, I was incredibly addicted to Call of Duty. The campaign was fun, but the real entertainment came from the online play versus others around the world. With this particular community of people, there came a certain specialized language. The places where the matches are played are maps. The guns all had long technical sounding names, but anyone of us could rattle off the specs of each of them. The same goes for the different varieties of air support and artillery. In communication with each other, we also used specialized language. The term "newb" is reserved for someone who is less than talented at the game. This is not to be confused with "newb tube," which is a grenade launcher. "Try hard" is a term reserved for those who don't even care about fun, but only want to win. Other communication between players was more common language that was *ahem* less than polite. The different game modes also had different abbreviations that only a player would understand, such as search, team, hardcore, etc.

This all took place from the comfort of my living room. It was just me, my xbox, my mic, and the tv. That's all it took, and through the magic of the internet I was connected to a large community of people with similar interests and language. The reason that specialized language formed among us is simple. When a group of millions gathers and shares in a world filled with complex terminology and the same kind of annoyances, abbreviations/nicknames are bound to develop.

Nick Jones
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top