My Second Language

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Second Language

Post  maddiesch on Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:23 am

Suddenly, I was spitting the words out without any thoughts whatsoever. I didn’t realize how much it had become a second language to me, where my first thoughts at my first musical try-outs. The words like soutenu, pirouette, rond de jambe, and chasse where all dancing terms that I learned at seven-years-old. It was an extremely nerve-racking moment, standing on stage with just the director and his assistant staring at you from the seats.

It was my sophomore year, and I decided to try out for a musical at an all-boy’s high school where I didn’t know anyone. When the choreographer started to teach the dance, it felt almost at home. For almost 10 years, I was a competitive dancer, but then I quit when she joined a hard private high school and picked education over dance. It seemed so normal to use French ballet terms or other dance move names. I was always in an environment where everyone knew these terms, but at this tryout, I really impressed the choreographer and the director on my talent and intellect.

maddiesch
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top