Literacy, Video Games, and Popular Culture

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Literacy, Video Games, and Popular Culture

Post  Nick Jones on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:42 pm

In this text, Gee uses literacy as meaning expertise built around highly specialized language and the concomitant knowledge structures. This means that literacy in this article is being able to operate something, be it technology or literature, to its fullest extent. His example of something that kids are frequently literate in is Yu-Gi-Oh. It requires a lot of learning and dedication to become fluent with all of the different characters and the battle system. However kids still learn it because it is fun. The same cannot be said for math and science. Though it takes a similar type of learning, kids view it as boring and useless. With Yu-Gi-Oh they get to play and reap the fruits of their labor. Gee suggests that we make math and science learning somehow integrate with something fun like Yu-Gi-Oh. He also mentions several other games, and notes that the better games that require more literacy are the ones that make you think more.

Overall, I think Gee's argument is both compelling and strong. I know from experience that it is much more fun to go play a video game than to do homework, and subsequently more easy to gain literacy in that video game. A few of the words were lofty and/or technical, but it was nothing I couldn't look up. At times the argument was hard to follow, but as I said it was overall very well done.

Things I am literate in:
1. Xbox
2. iPhone
3. Algebra
4. Harry Potter
5. Music (Certain bands i.e. Fall Out Boy, fun., Hoodie Allen)
6. Movies
7. Reading

Nick Jones
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top