View previous topic View next topic Go down

Literacy, Video Games, and Popular Culture Response

Post  nathanfree on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:08 pm

Nathan Freeman
Dragseth
English 1000
February 17, 2013

Literacy Response: Video and Card Games

When literacy is being defined or even mentioned, most people would probably think of books, school, and homework. I know I would. However, the author of this article, “Literacy, Video Games, and Popular Culture”, believes video games and card games should be viewed differently. Growing up, my parents had always lectured me about how video games would take me nowhere in life and how pointless of an activity it was. However, James Paul Gee believes video games and even card games, such as Yu-Gi-Oh, grow a child’s imagination just as much as a book would, maybe even more. He goes on to say that it gives them a better understanding of complex situations that they might have to deal with in the future. He continues his argument stating “good games offer players a set of challenging problems and then let them practice them until they have routinized their mastery.”
In this article, literacy specifically comes from the knowledge and understanding of video games and card games. Gee states that many video games and card games have their own sense of language and vocabulary and must be understood just as well as a student would have to understand a subject. It is rather clear that Gee is arguing that literacy can be found everywhere, specifically where an individual is most interested.

Forms of communication I am literate:
• American History
• Football (specifically NFL)
• Baseball (specifically MLB)
• Geography
• Outdoor activities (specifically hiking, kayaking, and skiing)
• Music
• Movies

nathanfree
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top