"Literacy, Video Games and Pop Culture" Response

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Literacy, Video Games and Pop Culture" Response

Post  Atticus P on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:48 am

Gee’s use of literacy in this paper stems from his (assumed) understanding of video games and card games such as Yu-Gi-Oh, and claims that educational institutes who use literacy in this manner could be more effective. He explains, for example, that Yu-Gi-Oh has its own language / vocabulary (the latter of the two words is used much more frequently), and that it must be learned like one would learn mathematics or science. However, the difference between the two is that children want to learn Yu-Gi-Oh and video games, but not mathematics or science. This is to be expected, but why? Gee claims it is because of the manner of practicality that each of the subjects contain. Yu-Gi-Oh cards have their own rules, their own system, and can be discussed and played with others quite easily. Science and mathematics are taught well enough, but there is no immediate practical use for the students, which is why they tend to forget or simply not care about the subjects. Gee’s argument is that if schools take consideration of the engagement that games like Yu-Gi-Oh has, and apply it to mathematics and science, the level of understanding and interest from the students will profoundly increase.

As someone who has grown up with and still plays with trading cards and video games, I think that this is a brilliant claim. I know more about the worlds of Halo and Skyrim (the latter of which I believe is more pertinent to Gee’s argument) than anyone should ever care to know. I want to, and enjoy, learning about these fantastic worlds. If mathematics and science were introduced in a way such as with Skyrim, I feel that I would understand the subjects much better and that there would be many more mathematicians and physicists in the world than there currently are.

Forms of communication I feel myself literate in:
English language
Mathematics
Baseball (stats, players and such)
The Internet
Video games
Music theory (somewhat)
Card games (Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic the Gathering, specifically)
-Certainly there are more, but I can’t think of any more worth mentioning-

Atticus P
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top