Assignment 2: Blogging as Social Action

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assignment 2: Blogging as Social Action

Post  Atticus P on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:01 am

Define Kairos (you may have to look up a definition).

Merriam-Webster defines kairos as “A time when conditions are right for the accomplishment of a crucial action; the opportune and decisive moment.” In terms of the reading, it is used to show how the blog emerged at such a time in which it would most likely have gained the most popularity and usage that it possibly could.

Based on this reading, what do you see as modern concerns with the weblog? Do you agree? What are your concerns?

Most of the concern surrounding the weblog (which I happen to agree with, and whose concerns I share) is the risk of publicity that it can garner. When writing blogs (using my own blog-writing friends as reference), most writers assume that they will only be read by those that they have personally informed of said blog’s existence, but this is obviously not the case, as explained in the reading. People feel safe in publically posting deep, emotional writings without knowing who may be reading them. Strangely enough, I think that this is exemplified through our own Facebook friends. Some of my own “friends” have posted quite personal things to their wall in the past (which happens fairly frequently), and whenever I or another person who is also friends with said writer comments on it, probably to ask about the situation, a common response is to tell the reader to mind their own business. I feel that it is almost mind-boggling that someone would willingly post personal information to the Internet, choose who they allow to see said information, and in some instances, still reject the notion of others viewing and collaborating over said information.

And, what is the importance of voyeurism to how we understand writing or reading?

Voyeurism is the foundation in which this whole discussion is based upon; it’s the idea of personal information (ahem...) being viewed unknowingly by others. In today’s world, some people feel comfortable in writing and even publishing works of an extremely personal nature. Of course, in cases such as these, it is no longer voyeurism, but something else entirely. However, it WOULD be considered voyeurism to a certain extent if the writer wished to keep these writings private, but were still viewed by a peeping public audience. In an attempt to view it in a positive light, voyeurism, in terms of reading and writing, lets us peer into those of us who write more personal works and gain information from said writer, which would never have been gained otherwise. This, of course, is a case whose moral goodness is rarely found.

Finally, I would like you to list 3 specific questions or confusions you have about the reading. Be prepared to bring them up in class.

Why do people have such a fascination with the lives of others? Do people truly live such meaningless lives (in their own opinions) that they have to have such interest in other people?

Why do people feel that they must publically post the private, intimate parts of their lives to the Internet?

Should the false sense of security that I have touched on in my earlier points be discussed on a larger level than what it currently is?

Atticus P
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top