Assignment 2 Blogoshere Reading- Scheidt

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assignment 2 Blogoshere Reading- Scheidt

Post  maddiesch on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:50 pm

The website "About.com" defines kairos to be "the opportune time and/or place, the right or appropriate time to say or do the right or appropriate thing." In the reading, kairos is defined towards blogging. It uses kairos as a new invention of blogging which brings up topics of one's thoughts of current events and topics.

While reading this article, it brought of several privacy concerns of bloggers that I completely agree with. People blog so many intimate and detailed parts of their life including locations of where they enjoy going or around where they live. In the past, people wanted to see intensely private moments of others around the eleventh century. Then, people didn't have website serial killers and mentally ill stalkers. Our world is a lot more personally dangerous today than it was thousands of years ago. I have wanted to get a blog, but I don't want anyone I know to see it. People want to write out extremely emotional events and thoughts, but if their loved ones read this, relationships may get complicated. Sometimes there are aspects in our lives that are too personal to reveal. Even though, we are told time and time again that telling someone or writing it out will make us feel better, it's a better idea to write it in a journal, tell a friend, or see a therapist. The internet is a good tool for some information but not for all information.

Additionally, the reading brings up the idea of voyeurism. Voyeurism can be defined by this saying: "seeing is believing." People want to see the evidence and events. One popular source for seeing is youtube followed by facebook. We can look into people's lives. Another way of taking voyeurism is giving out public information. With the technological advances of television and the internet, people can easily find information out about places, events, and people. They have evidence for truth instead of listening to someone's word which may contain lies.

Although I enjoyed the reading, I did have a few questions about it.
1. How can we protect private information while still blogging?
2. What may be the the future purposes of blogging?
3. Do you think people should blog at all? Why or why not?

maddiesch
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top