Assignment 1 Chp. 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assignment 1 Chp. 3

Post  Nicklauskro on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:59 pm

If a friend asked me what a rhetorical situation or analysis was, I would tell him it is the backbone to just about any form of communication. It combines key elements that are important in all steps of producing effective communication, from brainstorming ideas, to putting them on paper, to presenting it to your audience. The elements are: the writer, the audience, the text, and the medium used. The writer is whoever is producing the paper, this includes what he wants to produce and how he wants to go about producing it. The audience is who you are writing for and presenting to. One should take into consideration all aspects of the audience such as intellect, sense of humor, feelings toward the topic, professionalism, etc... The text is the wording and format used. It contains the actual contents of the paper. It is largely based on the writer and the audience for example, if your writing a paper on chemistry for an internship, it might use formal wording and contain intellectually specific words. Then you have the medium. The medium is whatever you are using to portray your topic. It can be a handwritten letter, a typed paper or even poster board covered in pictures. A rhetorical analysis is looking at your situation and the elements involved and using the situation to construct the perfect way to create your topic.

When somebody writes online, or anywhere for that matter, I think one tries to appeal to pathos, ethos and logos as much as possible. But despite best efforts I tend to think particular appeals are more common than others. I think as the internet has evolved, so have the rules. At one time the internet held plenty of credibility and logic, it was used primarily for work. Today it seems the internet has become a young persons play place. Between the social networking, media sharing and colorful blogging, the internet is a completely different place than what it was 20 years ago. Credibility is almost non-existent, an eight year old with enough computer knowledge can make alterations to any Wikipedia page (at least for a short time). Logical arguments on the internet seem to be diminishing among the majority. Anybody with a Facebook page will tell you that. This leaves us with ethos, not all but I believe a majority of today's internet is driven by emotion. Sometimes there is logic and credibility to drive emotional appeal but many times it is a simple comment made out of passion with little thought at all. Reading angry YouTube comments or watching reviews on the presidential debate, will convince just about anyone of this. At one time the internet was used mainly for work, pathos and logos mattered more than anything. Now it has dramatically shifted where ethos rules the web.

Nicklauskro
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 1 Chp. 3

Post  Nick Jones on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:16 pm

I would say that in certain situations now a days on the internet, people almost go out of their way to go against using logos and pathos because it provides a certain shock factor. This could apply for some places like comedy sights including black humor, as well as any blogger trying to gain attention by blatantly being unreasonable and repulsive.

By the way, I believe you meant Pathos as the appeal to emotion.

Nick Jones
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicklauskro on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:52 pm

Your correct about my use of ethos in relation to emotion it should have been pathos I must have mixed them up. I agree about going against ethos and logos to make a statement. The internet has become a dark sarcastic place. People will do anything to get attention and create drama. I fall into the trap myself because it is easy to get attention by saying something drastic and obscure.

Nicklauskro
Beginner
Beginner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top